Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GAA on Television

+11
Smallball
2hands
caughtforpace
Mattie Hislop
Sean
Podsy
Ranty
leesider
Tipp Ex
cahirofcork
T. Leaf
15 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

GAA on Television Empty GAA on Television

Post by T. Leaf Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:08 pm

John Arnold had a long letter in Thursday's Echo ("Let all GAA fans see Munster Clash"),bewailing the fact that "tens of thousands" will not be able to view the game live, because it will not be on Terrestrial TV. I'm not sure if it will be available on Saor View TV, but, on the other hand it is free if you have Sky. It is on Sky Sport Mix, which is not behind a paywall. The trouble is that the contracts for this season are now long signed and perhaps we should be thankful that Sky are showing it free at all in the present lockdown.

Last edited by T. Leaf on Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

GAA on Television Empty Re: GAA on Television

Post by cahirofcork Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:32 pm

Tis a wonder he didn't visit Michael Hogan again to beseech his spirit for a terrestrial TV showing of the game, good time of year for it in fairness.

cahirofcork

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:39 pm

I've heard people praising Sky Sport's coverage compared to RTE's. I thought they were awful. During the red button time the coverage was transferred to Sky Sports Arena and the screen scoreboard disappeared. In the old days when extra time happened in a match, RTE would simply record the second match and show it when the first match ended, which was a better system. The commentator seems unfamiliar with hurling. He was saying a second-half free against Shane Kingston was for throwing the ball when it was for dropping his hurley before passing. Actually I thought the hurley was pulled out of his hand, which was another mistake the referee made.
T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:01 am

Christy Ring documantery on RTE last night was good. I had a good auld laugh at PA Horgan trying out a modern version of his "hurl".

Those were the days though when we were actually winning trophies and a Cork hurling team would strike fear into the opposition. A poster on proc put up an unbelievable stat - since Christy died, Cork have won 6 All Ireland Senior hurling titles. Imagine that

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:20 pm

Those won missed it, can still watch it here on the RTE Player.

Christy Ring Man and Ball
T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:03 pm

And, by the way, it was nice to see the drawings in the program were by Cork comic book artist Will Sliney.
T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by cahirofcork Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:50 pm

Watched it earlier tonight myself. I had asked my mother earlier on today what she thought of it and she said she enjoyed it but found it very sad as well. I was wondering to myself how the hell a sports doc could be sad?? I have to say after watching it, I did find it quite emotional and indeed sad to see how Cork hurling has in many ways declined since his playing days and more so since his passing.

It's as if his death heralded a slow decline unfortunately. His career at inter county level were halcyon days for the county really I suppose. We've never returned to those levels of dominance and consistent performance. The gentleman who queried "Where's Ring's blood now?" wasn't far wrong. We need another hurling Messiah to come and lead us back to the promised land it seems.

cahirofcork

Tipp Ex likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:17 pm

All my experience of Cork inter-county hurling – and I’m pretty old – would be post Ring. I only saw him play once and that was against Limerick to celebrate the opening of Clonmult Mermorial Park in Midleton. He won the ball in front of the Limerick goals and I waited eagerly form him to put it in the net. Instead he pulled out of the tackle and passed it to a colleague on his left, who put it wide. Cork won, but as far as I can remember, Ring did not contribute to the scoring.

A few years later came the 1966 triumph for Cork and an end to that particular famine. Ring, who was retired by that time, was asked to come back for the final so that he might win a ninth  All-Ireland medal. He declined.

After a hiccup or two, Cork gradually asserted their dominance on the inter-county scene. One of the secrets to their success was not letting the other team play. No team could win ground possession cleanly against them. Every time an opposing player tried to pick the ball, there was a Cork player by his side to stick in his hurley and knock the ball away. Another Cork player usually picked up the break.
In my experience the devastation to Cork hurling happened during the third hurlers’ strike. To recap them briefly, the first was for the unfair treatment being meted out the players by the county board (which echoed that of Jamsey Kelleher and his team mates nearly a century before). It was supported by everyone.

The second strike, if I remember correctly, was, started by the footballers, who were joined by the hurlers because the county board tried to row back on some of their promises. Again it had general support.
The third strike was very different, in that it was personal and bitter. It divided the county, the clubs, the supporters and even families. The players tried to force out Gerald McCarthy as manager and the county board could not, of course, accede to such a thing.  Silly as well as inflammatory things were said on all sides. One of the silliest, in my opinion, was a poster on Rebel GAA declaring that most of the players couldn’t be in the wrong as they had 3 All-Ireland medals. Gerald McCarthy, of course, has 5.

The best and most detailed outline of what happened can be found in  Donal Og’s autobiography, Come What May. It is only very briefly touched on in Sean Og’s book, The Autobiography (from the player’s side) and in Teddy McCarthy’s book, Teddy Boy (from management point of view.)

They have a thread on Premier View about Cork’s decline in hurling and one of the latest theories is the debt on the stadium has overshadowed inter-county hurling and most supporters are now concentrating on their clubs only.
T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by leesider Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:45 pm

RTE 1 at 7.30pm tonight had a feature on the double in 1990; Laochcra Cois Laoi It will be on the RTE Player later at some stage I am sure. The best bit in it is they show the clip of Babs Keating making the "donkey's don't win derbies" remark. It's the first time I've seen it, I searched online loads of times to find it but there was never a recording of it anywhere to be found. Very interesting to see it finally.

leesider

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:26 pm

leesider wrote:RTE 1 at 7.30pm tonight had a feature on the double in 1990; Laochcra Cois Laoi  It will be on the RTE Player later at some stage I am sure.  The best bit in it is they show the clip of Babs Keating making the "donkey's don't win derbies" remark. It's the first time I've seen it, I searched online loads of times to find it but there was never a recording of it anywhere to be found. Very interesting to see it finally.
Thanks for the tip. I have a DVD released by RTE containing both All-Ireland finals for that year. The football footage is fine, but the hurling footage had deteriorated shockingly in some places.
T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Thu May 20, 2021 12:48 pm

One vulture leaving the market.

eir Sport confirms plans to cease broadcasting

"eir Sport has confirmed plans to leave the sports broadcasting market.

The French owned communications company which took over Setanta Sports six years ago currently hold the rights to broadcast Allianz League matches on Saturday's and a number of club provincial games. Eir also hold the rights to the back catalogue of old GAA games in a deal which expires at the end of this season."
T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Thu May 20, 2021 2:07 pm

Bollix. I have Eir Sports, handy for the league games

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Thu May 20, 2021 7:44 pm

TG4 used to be handy for the league games, as well, until the GAA took it off them and gave it to Setants/Eir - and it was free.
T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by cahirofcork Fri May 21, 2021 6:28 pm

Gaago ye're best bet I guess lads. I had to bite the bullet myself as I use Premier Sports here in the UK for most of my GAA needs. It seems they have lost it this season. I bought the season pass for GAAGO for 50 euros(or whatever the sterling equivalent is). It basically entitles me to every game for the year excluding all ireland semis and finals. Bye bye Premier Sports subscription.

They have a 25 euro pack for Ireland only which includes all games not shown on terrestrial telly of a weekend, i.e both Cork games this weekend.

cahirofcork

Back to top Go down

Post by leesider Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:58 am

cahirofcork wrote:Gaago ye're best bet I guess lads. I had to bite the bullet myself as I use Premier Sports here in the UK for most of my GAA needs. It seems they have lost it this season. I bought the season pass for GAAGO for 50 euros(or whatever the sterling equivalent is). It basically entitles me to every game for the year excluding all ireland semis and finals. Bye bye Premier Sports subscription.

They have a 25 euro pack for Ireland only which includes all games not shown on terrestrial telly of a weekend, i.e both Cork games this weekend.

You can't watch the SKY games on GAAGO if you are in Ireland. You can if you are outside Ireland. So for the Cork v Limerick game this Saturday GAAGO is no good, unless you have VPN which will allow you to fool GAAGO into thinking you are outside Ireland.

leesider

Back to top Go down

Post by cahirofcork Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:06 pm

leesider wrote:
cahirofcork wrote:Gaago ye're best bet I guess lads. I had to bite the bullet myself as I use Premier Sports here in the UK for most of my GAA needs. It seems they have lost it this season. I bought the season pass for GAAGO for 50 euros(or whatever the sterling equivalent is). It basically entitles me to every game for the year excluding all ireland semis and finals. Bye bye Premier Sports subscription.

You can't watch the SKY games on GAAGO if you are in Ireland. You can if you are outside Ireland. So for the Cork v Limerick game this Saturday GAAGO is no good, unless you have VPN which will allow you to fool GAAGO into thinking you are outside Ireland.

Cork V Limerick or any SKY games are not available on GAAGO for Uk users either.....

cahirofcork

Back to top Go down

Post by leesider Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:15 pm

cahirofcork wrote:
leesider wrote:

Cork V Limerick or any SKY games are not available on GAAGO for Uk users either.....

Yes that is correct. You would have to set the VPN to an address from the US so, that would be the handiest.

leesider

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:38 pm

I see a few posts on PROC criticizing the Sky filming of the match and I have to agree with them, although I only saw the highlights on The Sunday Game. I also found the picture very dark. I see one poster is using the excuse that both Sky and TG4 use equipment provided by a company in Rathcormac. Yet if RTE has used this kind of muck, posters would be lining up to have a pot at them. I am disappointed that people are prepared to pay for this poor service and that the GAA are accepting such low standards.
T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:34 pm

On the Sunday game tonight, Brendan Cummins and Shane Dowling were asked for their All-Ireland finalists. Cummins said “Limerick and Galway”. Dowling said “Limerick and Cork”.

T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:27 am

AFAIK Cora Staunton was a decent girl footballer (OMG) but having her standing between Oisin McConville and Colm O Rourke analyzing our top footballers at length is pathetic stuff from RTE. If Colm and Oisín told RTE their true feelings about sharing the stage with a girl footballer ................they wont of course..............€€€€€€€€€€€
Thank God for the MUTE button, but sometimes I'm not quick enough to shut up the squeaky tones of the Cantwell wan asking pre prepared questions.
At least SKY treat us as adults with effing men doing a mans game.
BTW......I enjoy watching girls, even playing their version of football, but FFS men are men and women are women but this gender balance sh1te is driving us crazy.

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:20 pm

To be fair, Ranty, Cantwell does know her stuff and I would think she prepares her own questions as any presenter would do. And she does raise questions that the men sometimes preferred to gloss over.

T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:12 pm

T. Leaf wrote:To be fair, Ranty, Cantwell does know her stuff and I would think she prepares her own questions as any presenter would do. And she does raise questions that the men sometimes preferred to gloss over.

I disagree, but if you enjoy listening to a small squeaky Dublin girleen pontificating on men's GAA games then that is your choice.
I simply press the mute button as I refuse to listen to somebody who couldn't possibly know much about the subject matter of the
discussion. I'm also well aware that RTE is choc a block with these new age sharpies who appoint women to men's jobs purely
to satisfy the gender balance twits who I detest.
Call me old fashioned if you must, but I'll go to my grave believing that men shouldn't allow women to dominate them in any sphere,
particularly in sports media. Now get out of our way and throw in the effing ball as Ringy once said to a ref who wanted to lecture the
opposing captains on how to play the game.

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:19 pm

You have the cart before the horse, Ranty. What Ring said was "Throw in the ball and then get out of the way."

Last edited by T. Leaf on Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:21 pm

I agree with Kathriona Devereux here.

I paid €10 to see Cork hurlers on TV

"The spectacle of the big days out at Semple Stadium or Croke Park sustain the grassroots system and vice versa. If pay-for-TV of GAA matches excludes people from watching and celebrating these big matches, who knows what the consequences will be."
T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:22 pm

T. Leaf wrote:You have the cart before the horse, Ranty. What Ring said was "Throw in the ball and then get out of the way."

I think he said 'effing' ball, but who knows? They are all gone now.

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum