Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cork Senior Hurling 2024

+18
Podsy
caughtforpace
CloudyCork
YellowBib
Skyblue
leesider
Ranty
top of the right
Mattie Hislop
JBM1
Sinbin
2hands
Sean
fullcourtpress
astnasquare
T. Leaf
Tipp Ex
bittergaaman
22 posters

Page 11 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

Cork Senior Hurling 2024 - Page 11 Empty Re: Cork Senior Hurling 2024

Post by T. Leaf Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:07 pm

A debacle. When you get yourself seven points up and then sit back and let them close the gap to two in five minutes, you know you can’t win anything. Cork have been doing that for years. When you’re ahead, you put the foot down and keep it down. But they know that as well as I do. Why they don’t do it is the mystery. When all’s said and done, it’s not the skill in the players which win matches and titles, it’s the steel in the players. Cork are as inflexible as lead.
T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Tipp Ex likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Shanks Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:25 pm

T. Leaf wrote:A debacle. When you get yourself seven points up and then sit back and let them close the gap to two in five minutes, you know you can’t win anything. Cork have been doing that for years. When you’re ahead, you put the foot down and keep it down. But they know that as well as I do. Why they don’t do it is the mystery. When all’s said and done, it’s not the skill in the players which win matches and titles, it’s the steel in the players. Cork are as inflexible as lead.

When we were 7 ahead and all over them, that goal chance Barrett missed ( I think it was him, happened in front of me in the City end Terrace), that was a massive opportunity spurned to finish them off.

Shanks

T. Leaf and Tipp Ex like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JBM1 Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:50 pm

Cork Hurling R.I.P.
We are miles off winning an All Ireland - Having looked at the 20s the other night, 1 possibly 2 were able to catch the sliothar over their heads and don't start me on the dirty ball - Most of the players (well it seemed to me anyway) were not interested in bring the dog to the fight

WTF is gone wrong with us - 2024 championship is over in APRIL and the rest of the counties just laughing at us and f.ing loving every moment of it - Very sad to see the demise of our beautiful game here in Cork and yes (I'm afraid) it is CORK HURLING RIP

JBM1

Tipp Ex likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2hands Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:30 pm

You have to assume Tommy O’Connell was dropped after last week because his pace was exposed a few times against Waterford. He certainly cant’ have been dropped for lack of effort. So to bring on Luke Meade when Ethan Twomey went off was a fairly strange one. To be fair to Luke, though, his lack of pace wouldn’t have been as cruelly exposed if Owen’s had given Cork the free they deserved for holding the spare hand and pulling the jersey just before Clare got possession in that move.

You’d also wonder what would have happened if Hoggie had got the penalty he should have got when Hogan fouled him. Hoggie was focusing on the black card but the reality is he was tripped (or Hogan deliberately played his leg) inside the square.

There’s been enough said about puck outs so no more needs to be said. I’ve rarely seen them as bad. The sending off was genuinely one of the most stupid fouls I’ve seen in many years following Cork. What was Sean thinking?

Fair play to Hoggie and Harnedy. Both justified their selections. It’s a shame we don’t have one or two more of them. Hayes still baffles me a bit. But if he’d received a pass from Barrett he’d probably have buried it. Small margins, but we always seem to be on the wrong side of them these days.

As for our inability to catch a ball, what can you say. It’s now over 20 years since we had to develop a game plan to address the fact that we couldn’t catch a cold. Surely by now we’d have a few under age players coming through who have been coached to do the basics. But when your corner backs are batting ball coming in to them at chest height you are not going to win too many Munster championship games. And when your half forward line has one man who can catch a ball and he is only going to last 50 minutes, you’re not going to beat too many good teams.

2hands

Tipp Ex, top of the right, Podsy and caughtforpace like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by top of the right Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:15 am

This morning after cooling down, I have had several views of the incident involving the sending off of Sean O Donaghue. It was an extremely harsh decision by Owens. I cannot figure out why O Donnell ran from where he did as Cork were in control of the situation. It is very obvious he saw an opportunity of crashing into O Donaghue and hoping for the best. O Donnell has form for diving and feigning injury and Owens bought it hook line and sinker. I was very disappointed with Eoin Cadogans comments on the incident and I feel he owes O Donaghue an apology, in fairness we often cheered Cadoogan for doing likewise. Whenever Owens referees a championship game with Cork involved it always ends with a defeat for Cork and Owens being the centre of attention.

top of the right

bittergaaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2hands Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:45 am

I don’t think we should focus on that decision too much to be honest. The ball was still in play (although Collin’s would have cleared it). O’Donnell was running towards Collins to put pressure on him and Sean definitely took have a step in and took him with a shoulder when neither were close to the ball. It was as clear a third man tackle as you are likely to see.

One thing Cork sadly need to think about is how to draw frees from referees. Clare and other counties have got good at it with hands in the air and dramatic falls. Only Seamus Harnedy seemed to manage that yesterday (for the first free he got). As I said above, there were a couple of reasons to give a free out to Cork before Clare won the ball which led to their third goal. Clare players would have won those frees. We are just not cute enough on the line or on the field any more.

The fact we pucked the ball out with our own player down says everything. I see people pointing to the rule change but there is surely an argument that the rule says that play won’t be stopped for an injury, whereas the ball had already gone dead so there was no need for the ref to demand that they play on before the player was either treated or ordered to leave the field. What would have happened if the ball broke around where he was lying following the puck out?

2hands

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:07 pm

Losing a 7 point lead is so disheartening.
We can't come from behind, we cant win from ahead. Depressing

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:24 pm

top of the right wrote:This morning after cooling down, I have had several views of the incident involving the sending off of Sean O Donaghue. It was an extremely harsh decision by Owens. I cannot figure out why O Donnell ran from where he did as Cork were in control of the situation. It is very obvious he saw an opportunity of crashing into O Donaghue and hoping for the best. O Donnell has form for diving and feigning injury and Owens bought it hook line and sinker. I was very disappointed with Eoin Cadogans comments on the incident and I feel he owes O Donaghue an apology, in fairness we often cheered Cadoogan for doing likewise. Whenever Owens referees a championship game with Cork involved it always ends with a defeat for Cork and Owens being the centre of attention.

The most O'Donoghue did was step across in front of him. You are allowed to stand in front of an opponent. It was O'Donnell who crashed into him.

Of course, we shouldn't be in a position to let referees decide games for us.

I was on the Clare supporters' website before the match and one of them commented that Owens always favoured Cork over Clare! So I suppose it's better to disregard our own notions of how referees favour of disfavour certain counties.
T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:36 pm

2hands wrote:
One thing Cork sadly need to think about is how to draw frees from referees. Clare and other counties have got good at it with hands in the air and dramatic falls. Only Seamus Harnedy seemed to manage that yesterday (for the first free he got). As I said above, there were a couple of reasons to give a free out to Cork before Clare won the ball which led to their third goal. Clare players would have won those frees. We are just not cute enough on the line or on the field any more.

This seems to point to a problem with referees rather than anything else. A referee should not give a free if he cannot see the foul. Doing as you suggest is almost like the referee giving a free to a player simply because the player tells him he wants a free, and when that happens the referee has lost control of the game.
T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:40 pm

2hands wrote:

The fact we pucked the ball out with our own player down says everything.  I see people pointing to the rule change but there is surely an argument that the rule says that play won’t be stopped for an injury, whereas the ball had already gone dead so there was no need for the ref to demand that they play on before the player was either treated or ordered to leave the field. What would have happened if the ball broke around where he was lying following the puck out?

I remember a match years ago where the Cork goalkeeper refused to puck out the ball until one of his backs had got his boot back on again! The referee took no action.
T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Red or Dead Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:31 pm

T. Leaf wrote:
top of the right wrote:This morning after cooling down, I have had several views of the incident involving the sending off of Sean O Donaghue. It was an extremely harsh decision by Owens. I cannot figure out why O Donnell ran from where he did as Cork were in control of the situation. It is very obvious he saw an opportunity of crashing into O Donaghue and hoping for the best. O Donnell has form for diving and feigning injury and Owens bought it hook line and sinker. I was very disappointed with Eoin Cadogans comments on the incident and I feel he owes O Donaghue an apology, in fairness we often cheered Cadoogan for doing likewise. Whenever Owens referees a championship game with Cork involved it always ends with a defeat for Cork and Owens being the centre of attention.

The most O'Donoghue did was step across in front of him. You are allowed to stand in front of an opponent. It was O'Donnell who crashed into him.

Of course, we shouldn't be in a position to let referees decide games for us.

I was on the Clare supporters' website before the match and one of them commented that Owens always favoured Cork over Clare! So I suppose it's better to disregard our own notions of how referees favour of disfavour certain counties.
He body checked O Donnell, it was a clear yellow, unnecessary after making a game saving tackle and utter madness to do on a yellow.

Clare fans think everyone is against them.
Owens is a shocking referee. I have a sore throat today over the useless bo**ox
Red or Dead
Red or Dead

Tipp Ex and bittergaaman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinbin Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:59 pm

When you're 7 pts up on your own pitch with 30,000 people on your side you have to manage a game out, kill it off. Cork once again hit the default snooze button...had no idea how to close the game down and allowed Clare right back into so easily and so softly...it really is frustrating. But it was another case of watching the car crash.

I think it was Clare's second goal...you could see it coming from 65 yards out, when Clare had possession on the wing. That shouldn't be happening in senior intercounty hurling. The puckouts...my God, I was in the City end looking down the pitch and afterwards thought Collins had directly coughed up 5 or 6 points...someone told me later he was culpable for 2-8!

No point going into it all again...it's the same movie on repeat. Not aggressive enough, not tight enough, not smart enough...you can't concede 3-26 and expect to win big games.

Really don't know where we go from here, we haven't moved the dial an inch under Pat Ryan. Our champonship all but over in April and it just feels like another year wasted and we're standing still.

Sinbin

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:26 pm

Sinbin wrote:The puckouts...my God,  I was in the City end looking down the pitch and afterwards thought Collins had directly coughed up 5 or 6 points...someone told me later he was culpable for 2-8!

I had him down for 1-05 but that was in the heat of the moment. I can't bare to watch the match back but if I did I'd guess my 1-05 would only increase not decrease.

I hope Ryan has some balls and changes the keeper or the person pucking the ball out.

Also never take Harnedy and Dalton off both. We need one on at least to win some ball.

Also, we need a much better puck out strategy. Swamp one side and break at pace...

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by JBM1 Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:46 pm

As strange as it may sound:-

"Were Tipperary to beat Waterford next week – an unlikely prospect perhaps, given how Tipp did against Limerick on Sunday – and if Limerick and Clare both won their remaining games, victory for Cork in Thurles May 19 could be enough."

Surely to God, we deserve some break

JBM1

Back to top Go down

Post by Red or Dead Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:53 pm

bittergaaman wrote:
Sinbin wrote:The puckouts...my God,  I was in the City end looking down the pitch and afterwards thought Collins had directly coughed up 5 or 6 points...someone told me later he was culpable for 2-8!

I had him down for 1-05 but that was in the heat of the moment. I can't bare to watch the match back but if I did I'd guess my 1-05 would only increase not decrease.

I hope Ryan has some balls and changes the keeper or the person pucking the ball out.

Also never take Harnedy and Dalton off both. We need one on at least to win some ball.

Also, we need a much better puck out strategy. Swamp one side and break at pace...
If feels crazy to say it since Ryan was the U21 manager but our main problem is we are too slow to bring in the young players. Second season for Ryan and it took a make or break game for him to bring in new blood. Lads who did well in the league like Roche discarded. The midfield was screaming out for an injection of industry and graft midway through the second half yet Tommy O Connell left on the bench. Take off warriors and ball winners like Harnedy and Dalton( to be fair they were both spent) and leave a proven ball winner like Twomey on the bench.
Cunningham isn't even worth a bench spot apparently.
We won't win anything until we have incorporated more of our U21 winners into this team.
Red or Dead
Red or Dead

Sean, top of the right and bittergaaman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Sun May 05, 2024 2:39 pm

Draw yesterday between Tipperary and Waterford. James Owens once again making theadlines, as he likes to do. Check out the penaulty, like something from Benny Hill Show.

Cork now have to beat Limerick next Saturday as a first step, otherwise we're toast. Well we are toast but this will be burnt toast

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Sun May 05, 2024 2:49 pm

James Owens needs to not referee a game again... What ever happened to that brilliant Tipp Ref?

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by top of the right Sun May 05, 2024 5:08 pm

James Owens has screwed Cork anytime he has reffed them over the last five or six years and should not be reffing senior championship games. Speaking to a number of Tipp supporters today they could not get over how poor he was last evening and how he could have finished their championship for the year.

top of the right

Back to top Go down

Post by top of the right Mon May 06, 2024 10:06 am

Sean Stack refereeing Cork v Limerick on Saturday evening next. Thank God no Owens or no Kennedy, I feel we have a chance but must get our defensive set up correct.

top of the right

Tipp Ex likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Mon May 06, 2024 12:04 pm

Limerick with the ball in defence, are always moving; there's always a lose man somewhere to slip the ball to. They are incredibly difficult to turn over and incredible effort is needed from out forwards to do just that. I am not at all confident.
T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Mon May 06, 2024 1:31 pm

Fair play to Donal Og for calling it like it is last night on the Sunday game... 1. Discipline and 2 unacceptable desire tracking back

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Mon May 06, 2024 2:05 pm

bittergaaman wrote:Fair play to Donal Og for calling it like it is last night on the Sunday game... 1. Discipline and 2 unacceptable desire tracking back

He was correct about the tracking back but he glossed over the distribution from the keeper which was fairly fundamental to the defeat and which has never been addressed

Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Mon May 06, 2024 2:58 pm

I think his point though was well made. The keepers distribution is 5 or 6 on the list. 1 was discipline 2 was desire. I'd agree with him on that. Your pucks outs are important but lack of desire across the board is so much worrying and has been highlighted by us fans for over a decade.

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by leesider Mon May 06, 2024 8:20 pm

I'm not that confident about us beating the knackers this Saturday.

leesider

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Mon May 06, 2024 9:12 pm

I'm confident we will score but also that we will allow Limerick to score freely too. That VT Donal Og highlighted is a problem and mind set that can't be fixed in a week

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum