Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cork senior football team 2022

+15
Jeremiah
Skyblue
Bigbird
JBM1
fullcourtpress
astnasquare
Sinbin
2hands
Podsy
Tipp Ex
Sean
T. Leaf
caughtforpace
Ranty
bittergaaman
19 posters

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down

Cork senior football team 2022 Empty Cork senior football team 2022

Post by bittergaaman Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:52 pm

Sean Cavanagh on League on Sunday, bitter Cork Criticism incoming no doubt

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Cork senior football team 2022 Empty Re: Cork senior football team 2022

Post by Ranty Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:23 am

bittergaaman wrote:Sean Cavanagh on League on Sunday, bitter Cork Criticism incoming no doubt

He didn't mention Cork at all apart from congratulating Mickey Harte on bringing Louth within 70 minutes
of Division 1 status.
I'm very surprised that RTE don't bring in a second woman analyst with Cora Staunton just to complete
the package. Wouldn't it be great to have three wimmin commenting on the finer points of a mans ball
game?
oops...............I'll bet somebody here thinks that would be great. Laughing
Gimme a break

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by caughtforpace Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:18 am

In fairness Ranty she's far and away the best female analyst. I know it's a low bar but I'd take her over Wheelo and another few "don't rock the boat mannequins" any day of the week.
We've left ourselves in a tricky situation with both ourselves and Clare needing to reach the Munster Final. Assuming we don't beat Derry, Kildare have nothing to play for against Meath and a top half finish for Meath almost guarantees them Sam Maguire action.
Back to yesterday. Our lack of route one options will always leave us vulnerable to blanket defense tactics by mediocre, well organized opposition.
All the top teams have evolved in this direction to create attacking space. Comer, Rian o Neill, Clifford, A O Shea, McShane to name a few can keep full back lines "honest". By this I mean they are constantly wary of direct ball and as a result are likely to mark their men rather than defend a zone.
We don't seem to have this type of player currently. Unfortunately Peter Kelleher had definite potential for this role but was completely misused to the point of disillusionment by previous setups.
Until we identity and develop someone for this role we won't compete at the top level.
I despairingly read on PROC that our development squads are being coached in the art of the blanket just as it's going out of fashion at the top level. We're like the fella back in the 80's who was spinning a yo-yo when Rubik's cubes were all the rage.

caughtforpace

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:54 am

caughtforpace wrote:In fairness Ranty she's far and away the best female analyst. I know it's a low bar but I'd take her over Wheelo and another few "don't rock the boat mannequins" any day of the week.
We've left ourselves in a tricky situation with both ourselves and Clare needing to reach the Munster Final. Assuming we don't beat Derry, Kildare have nothing to play for against Meath and a top half finish for Meath almost guarantees them Sam Maguire action.
Back to yesterday. Our lack of route one options will always leave us vulnerable to blanket defense tactics by mediocre, well organized opposition.
All the top teams have evolved in this direction to create attacking space. Comer, Rian o Neill, Clifford, A O Shea, McShane to name a few can keep full back lines "honest". By this I mean they are constantly wary of direct ball and as a result are likely to mark their men rather than defend a zone.
We don't seem to have this type of player currently. Unfortunately Peter Kelleher had definite potential for this role but was completely misused to the point of disillusionment by previous setups.
Until we identity and develop someone for this role we won't compete at the top level.
I despairingly read on PROC that our development squads are being coached in the art of the blanket just as it's going out of fashion at the top level. We're like the fella back in the 80's who was spinning a yo-yo when Rubik's cubes were all the rage.

Agree about Peter Kelleher. I always felt he was a great threat to any full back line and was a great outlet for the high ball in. He seldom failed to score or set up a score from these. I have always been baffled as to why he was dispersed with.
T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:58 am

Last time I saw him play for cork was on a miserable day in Roscommon in 2018 when he scored a goal and played well, interestingly that day Sean Wilson Douglas played well at centre back and ronan o’toole Erin’s own played and neither featured much again……during the McCarthy/Healy years we burned through some amount of players

Sean

caughtforpace likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:46 pm

Louth GAA Official have put up the "highlights" of their match v Cork on YouTube. God pity their little inferiority complex for not only are only Louth scores shown but only Louth players handling the ball. Sure Cork were only trotting round after them all day. The only time a Corkman was shown touching the ball was when Martin saved the penalty, but they had to show that in order to show a Louth man bundle the ball back into the net. How on earth did we score 10 points. Were they all own scores by Louth? See for yourself.

T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by caughtforpace Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:25 pm

T. Leaf wrote:
caughtforpace wrote:In fairness Ranty she's far and away the best female analyst. I know it's a low bar but I'd take her over Wheelo and another few "don't rock the boat mannequins" any day of the week.

Agree about Peter Kelleher. I always felt he was a great threat to any full back line and was a great outlet for the high ball in. He seldom failed to score or set up a score from these. I have always been baffled as to why he was dispersed with.

Afaik he walked away disillusioned. I remember those league games under RMcC when he was starved of the type of supply he thrived on and was forced to come looking for short ball that was not his strength. The top sides now recognize that it's the threat of route one ball that creates the space for successful attacking moves. I think our management knows this judging by the direct ball they attempted a few occasions v Clare. Even though those efforts were telegraphed and hamfisted there was definitely a recognition of the need to keep the Clare full back line honest.

caughtforpace

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:49 pm

If this is the norm and I agree, Deane is the only one of the current panel anyway suitable for this role.   If only we had Kevin McStay to coach him on how to score like he has done with big Aidan O Shea.
Heretofore O Shea couldn't score from 5 yards. He can now.

I sincerely hope that yesterday's effort was a half hearted thing just fulfilling the fixture as it was too bad to be true.
We still need half forwards that can score and there's serious doubt about Chris Og's ability to find the net.    Dore or Cronin should be given a chance soon, at least until Charlie O Mahony returns.

Last but not least, why oh why doesn't somebody tell us why Mattie and Hurley were missing yesterday.
Can't be classified information surely?

Ranty

Tipp Ex likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:29 pm

I see on Twitter now that Carbery Senior footballers are currently playing a "Cork Senior Development Squad" in Dunmanway under lights, Cork ahead 1-5 to 0-4 into time second half.

Anyone know anything about this Cork squad? I can see the team on twitter but I can't post it as its a screenshot, I recognise names like Dan Peet, Joe O'Shea, Hugh Murphy, Mark Lenehan, Ryan O'Donovan

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:11 pm

Tipp Ex wrote:I see on Twitter now that Carbery Senior footballers are currently playing a "Cork Senior Development Squad" in Dunmanway under lights, Cork ahead 1-5 to 0-4 into time second half.

Anyone know anything about this Cork squad? I can see the team on twitter but I can't post it as its a screenshot, I recognise names like Dan Peet, Joe O'Shea, Hugh Murphy, Mark Lenehan, Ryan O'Donovan

It's a team without any current senior squad members or under 20 players.
Let's call them FRINGE players.
Should have used a few of them yesterday by all accounts.

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:24 pm

Thanks Ranty, I presume the senior management are over them. I'd good to see fringe players get a go.
"Cork" won by 1-7 to 0-6. Looking at the clubs, twas mostly west and north Cork on the panel tonight, one fella from St Michael's was the furthest East I'd say. Number 4 was a fellas called Hassett from St Judges, that's Dublin right?

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:46 pm

It’s a young cork team as you would expect, Hassett is an interesting one as he must be 27/28, fair way to travel from Dublin for a nothing game in dunmanway

Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:53 pm

Tipp Ex wrote:Thanks Ranty, I presume the senior management are over them. I'd good to see fringe players get a go.
"Cork" won by 1-7 to 0-6. Looking at the clubs, twas mostly west and north Cork on the panel tonight, one fella from St Michael's was the furthest East I'd say. Number 4 was a fellas called Hassett from St Judges, that's Dublin right?

It sure is and I can't remember him playing minor in red.
There were 7 Muskerry lads on that team tonight, Lordan, McGoldrick, O Mullane, Shorten, Hugh Murphy,
Jack Murphy (Both Eire Og) and Darren Murphy Ballincollig.
3 from Carbery...........Peet, O Driscoll, and Ryan O Donovan Barryroe who is a hot prospect.
I believe this is Cleary's idea so that's to be welcomed.
1-7 to 0-6 tells it's own story, but we can presume they both played this new 15 men behind the ball, and
don't you dare kick it.
For me it's like watching paint dry and I can't see me paying money to watch this stuff in future.
At least I can fall asleep in my rocking chair listening to the dulcet tones of Pádraig Tyres on TG 4 while
he does his best to make this muck exciting on TV.

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:56 pm

Cork senior football team 2022 FrrocvnWIA8iTLW?format=jpg&name=large
T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by caughtforpace Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:56 pm

Decent shout Ranty on Deane in the context of A o Shea and a resurgent Mayo.
The key here is Mc Stay has freed O Shea to play this role by not having him get involved in the dogfight around the D especially when an attack has stalled and needs to reset. Like Clifford for Kerry, O Shea is free to take up positions that pulls defenders and more importantly their attention with him. This freedom from the battering ram role we were accustomed to seeing O Shea perform for the last decade is liberating him and creating space for O Donoghue, Conroy et al.
If you watch Clifford, he continually circulates a 15 metre radius all around the D ready to link at an opportune moment and still remain a threat for a direct ball when he's inside the 21.
On reflection I don't think Deane's direct style would suit him to this role but if management clearly defined this role to him, he might surprise us.
In fact Sherlock has been performing this circulating role to an extent but lacks any threat for direct ball inside the 21.

caughtforpace

Ranty likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Podsy Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:41 pm

Tipp Ex wrote:Thanks Ranty, I presume the senior management are over them. I'd good to see fringe players get a go.

Ranty has the team's composition correct - Over-20's but excluding the 30-40 on the Cork Senior Squad.
They have their own management team - Niall Twomey, Donncha O'Connor, possibly Graham Canty as well (?), but they're overseen by Cleary.
They've been playing regular games, including against the Seniors, and they've been doing regualr gym work.
A fine initiative.
There's also a Cork Under-19 Development Team under last year's Minor Manager, Mick O'Brien and they're also playing regular games and doing regular gym work.
Podsy
Podsy

Ranty likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:54 pm

It looks like Hurley and Taylor will miss Sundays game along with O'Mahony who is suspended.
How the hell were they even picked to start against Louth ffs?

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:27 pm

Tipp Ex wrote:It looks like Hurley and Taylor will miss Sundays game along with O'Mahony who is suspended.
How the hell were they even picked to start against Louth ffs?

That's the Pro's way of fooling lads like us Tipp. It is even more secretive when they know that C103 aren't doing a broadcast
and sure the lads on LMFM wouldn't know nor care who was playing for Cork.
You must remember that the hurlers were playing Clare in a fierce important game in Ennis and this took up all or most
of the pros' brain.
It is truly incredible that neither CCB or any sports Journo in the Examiner or Echo bothers to find out and tell the great
unwashed why Mattie and Hurley went missing.
Gimme a break.

Ranty

bittergaaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:17 pm

https://www.echolive.ie/corksport/arid-41098108.html

Tuesday evening and Mark Woods releases the third secret of Fatima.
We now know that Mattie and Hurley developed niggling injuries after the team was announced on our website at 1pm on Saturday.

After that Shane Merritt also went down injured and Dano Dineen was added to the panel of subs.

Cleary says they have learned so much now that if they come up against another defence like Louth, they will know what to do and he's right about one thing anyway...........
It's not the end of the world.

Gimme a break

Ranty

Tipp Ex likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2hands Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:53 pm

Sadly I missed the game on Sunday but the result was disappointing. We need to start winning some of the dogfights.

The discussion about a target man up front is a good one and I think you only have to look at the goal Kerry scored on Saturday evening to see the benefit of the approach. To be fair the ball in to him was quality as well. If you don’t have that then the need for the Matty Taylor type player who is willing to just go at defences and drag men out of position to cover off his run is even greater.

We’ve now lost this year to Colm O’Rourke and Mickey Harte. If there is a God, She’ll surely not complete the trinity by giving Brolly more reasons to sneer this weekend….

2hands

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinbin Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:32 pm

2hands wrote:Sadly I missed the game on Sunday but the result was disappointing. We need to start winning some of the dogfights.

The discussion about a target man up front is a good one and I think you only have to look at the goal Kerry scored on Saturday evening to see the benefit of the approach. To be fair the ball in to him was quality as well. If you don’t have that then the need for the Matty Taylor type player who is willing to just go at defences and drag men out of position to cover off his run is even greater.

We’ve now lost this year to Colm O’Rourke and Mickey Harte. If there is a God, She’ll surely not complete the trinity by giving Brolly more reasons to sneer this weekend….

Your faith in God will only be really tested if & when we come up against Tyrone and Sean Cavanagh.

Sinbin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:25 pm

The free count in non scoring areas of the field is another area that needs attention by Cleary and Co.
We simply do not foul nearly enough in these areas and a study of Kerry, Tyrone, Derry and all the top teams will show how they limit the build up of attacks at the cost of yellow cards. They get away with a huge percentage of these fouls anyway and have no problem replacing yellow card recipients.
Kerry are probably the worst 'offenders' here, and it's no accident that all 6 forwards are on Yellow by midway in the 2nd half.
Mayo are learning fast and Derry are past masters of this blocking, as are Louth now under the master blocker.
Until Croke Park introduce match bans for repeat offenders the top teams will continue to work on this winning strategy.
Looks like we ain't learning.

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by caughtforpace Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:24 am

At intercounty a  sanction for cumulative team "tickable" fouls in conjunction with the black card is the only way to root out this cynicism whereby a team would have to remove a player for 15 mins once a threshold is reached.
Listening to some really poor analysis of Colm O Rourke and his style with Meath. Comparisons with Mickey Harte at Louth are silly. Meath have a proud tradition and like ourselves rightfully expect to be competitive for Sam for a period, every 20 years. They have gone down the "park the bus" route under previous managements without success. I think O Rourke correctly believes that overly defensive systems have become a crutch where players never fully develop their individual defensive skills. To win Sam  you need to employ the full range of tactical formations over a game. Dublin in their pomp could go man for man when they smelt blood or 15 behind the ball to see out a half, a black card or a sticky period. Any county with championship ambition must have the ability to go man for man during a game. Ulster counties for cultural reasons are in part, the exception. Louths expectations are much lower and will never realistically expect to win All Irelands therefore they are happy with their season or two in the sun playing the direst shite imaginable. I say fair play to O Rourke and I suspect Cleary is thinking along the same lines. Both will have to ride out a lot of media pressure, especially O Rourke.

caughtforpace

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:05 pm

We will have some idea of our progress after Derry's visit on Sunday.
A few analysts on OTB think Cork will beat a weakened Derry but talk is cheap.
Cleary will need to give plenty game time to Cronin, Herlihy and other subs as this is their last chance to impress before the championship.
Cashman seems to be forgotten completely despite his good form in the Sigerson. Perhaps he's not interested?

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:35 pm

The Cork Senior Football team to play Derry in the Allianz Football League Division 2 Round 7 has been announced

1 Micheál Aodh Martin (Nemo Rangers)
2 Sean Meehan (Kiskeam) Captain
3 Maurice Shanley (Clonakilty)
4 Tommy Walsh (Kanturk)
5 Luke Fahy (Ballincollig)
6 Rory Maguire (Castlehaven)
7 Sean Powter (Douglas)
8 Colm O’Callaghan (Éire Óg)
9 Ian Maguire (St Finbarr’s)
10 Eoghan McSweeney (Knocknagree)
11 Ruairí Deane (Bantry Blues)
12 Brian O’Driscoll (Tadhg Mc Carthaigh)
13 Conor Corbett (Clyda Rovers)
14 Chris Óg Jones (Uibh Laoire)
15 Steven Sherlock (St Finbarr’s)

16 Chris Kelly (Éire Óg)
17 Kevin O’Donovan (Nemo Rangers)
18 Paul Ring (Aghabullogue)
19 Cian Kiely (Ballincollig)
20 Matty Taylor (Mallow)
21 Killian O’Hanlon (Kilshannig)
22 John O’Rourke (Carbery Rangers)
23 Paul Walsh (Kanturk)
24 Mark Cronin (Nemo Rangers)
25 Fionn Herlihy (Dohenys)
26 Daniel Dineen (Cill na Martra)

I see the Derry team posted on the Xaminer this morning and though I'm not familiar with their strongest 15 I don't think there's many fringe players on the starting team. Rogers is No 8 so Colm or Ian will have a lot of trotting to do if he starts. Glass is on the bench but AFAIK the six forwards are their strongest.
Rogers has a Rolls Royce engine so our boys will need to clip his heels early on, if they can.
Here's hoping for a good performance and a better use of the subs bench which now has Mattie, but no Hurley or Merritt.

Ranty

T. Leaf and Tipp Ex like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next