Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cork senior football team 2022

+16
luasaigh
Jeremiah
Skyblue
Bigbird
JBM1
fullcourtpress
astnasquare
Sinbin
2hands
Podsy
Tipp Ex
Sean
T. Leaf
caughtforpace
Ranty
bittergaaman
20 posters

Page 4 of 28 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16 ... 28  Next

Go down

Cork senior football team 2022 - Page 4 Empty Re: Cork senior football team 2022

Post by bittergaaman Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:15 pm

Cork senior football team 2022 - Page 4 Screen15

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Cork senior football team 2022 - Page 4 Empty Re: Cork senior football team 2022

Post by bittergaaman Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:16 pm

Makes for bad reading. Clare with 7 scorers vs 4 for Cork.
8 out 13 scores for Cork came from placed balls. Only 2 for Clare

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by caughtforpace Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:23 pm

Great post FCP. Corbett has spent too many of his formative years looking at Luke Connley as the standard in a red jersey. Chicks always come home to roost. Niall Scully cost Dublin an AI last year in a similar situation and despite his 5 AI medals is
paying the price.

caughtforpace

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:19 am

Cleary and Co. stand indicted surely for this reversal. A 1 point hammering is a great description and like many here I listened to Clare FM who were excellent and balanced.

When you play your best defender with No 15 on his back you are asking for trouble surely.
Reminds me of the day in P UI Chaoimh a few years ago when Ronan McCarthy played Paul Kerrigan our best forward as a sweeper. I kid you not. We got beaten of course.
Without seeing the game I got the impression that M.A Martin's restarts cost us big time. Too slow with the shorties and his long ones hang in the sky forever.
Good shot stopper but that's not nearly enough these days. Lads over yonder are blaming Dan O Mahony but any time I've seen Sexton live he's beaten everybody that marked him. He's a really top class forward and Clare have plenty good footballers supporting him.
It's not the end of the world as both Cavan and Meath have to reach their provincial finals if we can't compete for Sam and that means we are still in the big ball game.
Will probably get a good hiding from a moderate team as it seems Cleary has no value on his bench and this loyalty thing about sticking with McGrath Cup winners is for the birds.
I hope Kevin Walsh is on board in a voluntary capacity as he sure as hell didn't earn many €€€€€€ today.
Seems ridiculous to bring a mid fielder from Galway to show us how to defend.

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:12 am

I still can’t get my head over 2 basic tenets of modern Gaelic football - a kickout strategy and the use of the panel.
We haven’t a game for 6 weeks and what are the odds cork will still go with a long overload to one side every time, how is there no keeper in cork able to hit a short one with confidence? What rubbish is Walsh going on about that he has 20 odd kickout types when all we see are the same one each time?
As for the use of subs, this has been a joke all year, fellas like Cronin coming on with 3 minutes left in league games yet o’rourke comes on in every game…….must be very hard for Merritt, Cronin, ring, herlihy, and basically anyone who isn’t o’rourke or kiely to get game time
These are fundamentals and yet we continue to repeat this, bitterly disappointing

Sean

bittergaaman and caughtforpace like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:42 pm

bittergaaman wrote:Exactly, this could only happen to Cork. Sean Cavanagh will be grinning. How have we come to be a laughing stock? Even Kerry people are feeling pity for us

Indeed he savoured the moment. I had the program silenced, but I couldn't resist it when the Cork match came up. I wish I had resisted it, now.

Disappointing from Cork again. I know little enough about the game those days, but I think John Cleary has been a massive improvement on Ronan McCarthy. It is his first year in sole charge and I think he deserves time to sort things out. Besides, who else is there?
T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:47 pm

Ranty wrote:Cleary and Co. stand indicted surely for this reversal.  A 1 point hammering is a great description and like many here I listened to Clare FM who were excellent and balanced.

I hope you didn't pick up that quote from the Tyrone gobshite, Ranty. I respect your devotion to Cork football and I admire your analysis. No need to be picking up quotes from bitter has-beens.

T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:02 pm

T. Leaf wrote:
Ranty wrote:Cleary and Co. stand indicted surely for this reversal.  A 1 point hammering is a great description and like many here I listened to Clare FM who were excellent and balanced.

I hope you didn't pick up that quote from the Tyrone gobshite, Ranty. I respect your devotion to Cork football and I admire your analysis. No need to be picking up quotes from bitter has-beens.

I don't have any problem with Sean Cavanagh or any other pundit bar Spillane (Retired)
I'm well capable of using that phrase off my own bat and certainly not a copy cat if that's your problem.
John Fintan Daly uses that phrase a lot and I'd bet he used it yesterday as well but I didn't waste my time
with C103 and their news reader O Mahony interspersed with effing adds.
Gimme a break

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:33 pm

T. Leaf wrote:
bittergaaman wrote:Exactly, this could only happen to Cork. Sean Cavanagh will be grinning. How have we come to be a laughing stock? Even Kerry people are feeling pity for us

Indeed he savoured the moment. I had the program silenced, but I couldn't resist it when the Cork match came up. I wish I had resisted it, now.

Disappointing from Cork again. I know little enough about the game those days, but I think John Cleary has been a massive improvement on Ronan McCarthy. It is his first year in sole charge and I think he deserves time to sort things out. Besides, who else is there?

I think the improved things narrative needs to be held until the season is over, I have huge reservations and have had for a while, it was clear after the Dublin game that cork seemed to be playing better then last year, however that is in real doubt since in particular yesterday when we seemed to lack all nous on stopping a late score and totally lost the midfield battle.
Last year also we tried a huge amount of players many due to the injury crises but at least we got a lot of young fellas experienced to senior football, this year we went back for fellas who had been dropped previously for a variety of reasons and due to this many younger players such as Merritt, herlihy, Cronin, murphy for example haven’t got a kick of a ball….this is a mistake imo
And for a serious intercounty team to not have a kickout strategy and be relying on a keeper who the county has known is poor in This aspect is not signs of improvement.
Walsh’s coaching comes into this picture big time also, the kickout obviously and more importantly the lack of pressure we apply around our own 45 when we lose possession.
We are fitter then last year but we would have got there anyway as that process started last year, I have serious doubts on the trajectory of this set up

Sean

Ranty likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:51 pm

Reading all the reports here and elsewhere it appears that Cleary was out coached yesterday by Collins. Clare did their homework from their defeat a few weeks back and negated Corks big threats like Taylor up and down the wing, blotted out Maguire at MF in the second and Powter was quitened. Did Cork not see this coming? What was the plan if this was the case? Or was it just a case of continuing on with plan A no matter the scoreline or situation?
As for the kickouts..For Fuck Sake, surely to God there was a plan B here? Thats 101 in coaching even at Junior Level.
Infuriating.

Someboby mentioned Conor Corbetts ridiculous attempt at goal that gave away possession at the very end to gift Clare the winning score. Someone then on PROC said he'll learn from it.
First thing that came into my head when i read that comment was - HE WONT. This is Cork football

Tipp Ex

caughtforpace likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:12 pm

Ranty wrote:
T. Leaf wrote:

I'm well capable of using that phrase off my own bat and certainly not a copy cat if that's your problem.

I wouldn't say it's a problem, Ranty! It's just that Sneering Canavagh used that very phrase yesterday, so I wondered. Perhaps he picked it up off Daly!
T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:23 pm

First thing I'd do is drop Maguire.

Then I'd gather my defenders together and ask them to at the very least not form a guard of honour for the oppositions attack

bittergaaman

Ranty likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:22 pm

I wasn't at the game but saw the whole game today because I have a friend in Clare who smuggled the video to me. No sound but I had enough sound yesterday from the Clare FM lads who I have already complimented.

I now repeat what I said about ref Kelly. He's not a Cork fan but having said that we would still have won if we had a keeper who could restart half cecently.
Ref Kelly ignored a blatant Black card about 10 minutes into the game, ignored a Red card attack on Deane mid way in 2nd half and in that same segment of play ignored a blatant foul on Jones near the square. Soon after that he gave Clare a handy one for a close in free when the free was the other way for charging. Brian O Driscoll can be seen pointing out to Kelly that he ignored far worse at the other end so I'll say no more.

Our keeper was responsible for at least 4 of Clare's points, 2 in each half, where they fielded his skyscrapers and launched scoring attacks. He took 14 restarts in the 2 nd half and of the 8 long ones we lost 6 of them.
Plenty other negatives for outfield players but we're going nowhere until we find half forwards and half backs who won't turn back when they come up against opposing players.
Suggest Cleary bring them all into a room and force them to watch Enda Smith of Roscommon yesterday in brutal conditions.
We need at least one Enda Smith.

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:25 pm

When I think of the calibre of players we had in 2008 to 2012

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:50 pm

It really is a awful awful loss. To Clare. We have fallen so far.
Now we've to wait around about 2 months for the likes of Cavan  and Meath, not exactly how youd like to respond to this disaster. And to make matters worse, we dont even know what effin competition our next game will be in.
The AI u20 and minor double of 2019 - is like they never happened.
Depressing

Tipp Ex

bittergaaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:52 pm

I had so much optimism after 2019. We finally turned the corner I thought. Some fool now

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:03 pm

Lads and Ladies, what's the story with Luke Connolly? Why wasn't he on the team? What have I missed?
I know he didn't feature during the league but I had just presumed it was injury. I now see he played for Nemo at the weekend

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:59 pm

bittergaaman wrote:Lads and Ladies, what's the story with Luke Connolly? Why wasn't he on the team? What have I missed?
I know he didn't feature during the league but I had just presumed it was injury. I now see he played for Nemo at the weekend

Looks like his slide rule, side of the foot, 40 yard cross field passes, don't impress Cleary and co.
Doesn't impress me either as the success rate of these spectaculars is minimal and costly these days.
If he could cut out that stuff he's the best forward in Cork by miles.

Ranty

Podsy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:54 pm

I hear ya Ranty but based on the Clare game we can't be too choosey

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:46 pm

bittergaaman wrote:Lads and Ladies, what's the story with Luke Connolly? Why wasn't he on the team? What have I missed?

Last I saw was an article in the Echo last year and when asked would he come back he said no. So that's that

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:58 pm

Fucking hell will ye stop ffs, in any other county in the country fellas get dropped and that’s it, in cork between this panel and the hurlers no one gets dropped ever- he is a fine footballer at club level, at intercounty level he isn’t consistent, doesn’t have pace, doesn’t track hard enough and is not a good enough free taker.
Instead of focusing on players who are gone we should be asking why the likes of Cronin, murphy, herlihy haven’t got a kick of a ball all year and are seeing the likes of o’rourke and o’driscoll getting loads of game time ahead of them, we started the right track last year by going with youth and this year the new manager has decided to recall fellas and continuously start fellas who are not good enough, we have regressed this year

Sean

Ranty, Tipp Ex and caughtforpace like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by fullcourtpress Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:28 pm

Ranty wrote:I wasn't at the game but saw the whole game today because I have a friend in Clare who smuggled the video to me.   No sound but I had enough sound yesterday from the Clare FM lads who I have already complimented.

I now repeat what I said about ref Kelly.   He's not a Cork fan but having said that we would still have won if we had a keeper who could restart half cecently.
Ref Kelly ignored a blatant Black card about 10 minutes into the game, ignored a Red card attack on Deane mid way in 2nd half and in that same segment of play ignored a blatant foul on Jones near the square.   Soon after that he gave Clare a handy one for a close in free when the free was the other way for charging.     Brian O Driscoll can be seen pointing out to Kelly that he ignored far worse at the other end so I'll say no more.

Our keeper was responsible for at least 4 of Clare's points, 2 in each half, where they fielded his skyscrapers and launched scoring attacks.   He took 14 restarts in the 2 nd half and of the 8 long ones we lost 6 of them.  
Plenty other negatives for outfield players but we're going nowhere until we find half forwards and half backs who won't turn back when they come up against opposing players.
Suggest Cleary bring them all into a room and force them to watch Enda Smith of Roscommon yesterday in brutal conditions.
We need at least one Enda Smith.

The side Cork were loading the kick outs onto first half was the side closest the stand I was in. There was plenty of holding going on from Clare men during them. The only one of them blown was where Maguire was being blatantly held and the crowd went apeshit even though it was a very obvious foul. Maguire shortly afterwards won a softish looking one in front of the posts that Sherlock converted, for which there was similarly plenty of roaring and shouting over. I don't think Cork got any marginal call after this all game. None of these calls were hugely egregious, just typical hometown stuff, and don't disguise the fact Clare were deserving winners. But a serious team doesn't allow that kinda shit continue throughout the game.

On the kick outs, bringing on O'Hanlon was totally pointless. While Maguire and O'Callaghan were being beaten all ends up on the left touchline, he was standing isolated with a height advantage (albeit slight) over the Clare half back marking him on the opposite touchline. He never saw one kick come towards him. He also was available for a couple of mid range quick ones but Martin never attempted them. He actually got visibly exasperated at being overlooked for one of these and I don't blame him.

fullcourtpress

Ranty likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:08 pm

Fair play to you for travelling FullCourt. The road home is even worse than the game on days like this.
If they don't drop Micheal A we are goosed. He won't change now and he's too old to be coached. I read over yonder that he's using the wrong tee and never kicks without one even for the shorties.
I saw Mattie sprint for one on Sunday going yards free of his marker but M A went long and Clare scored from the resultant play.

I really thought we were improving and would rattle Kerry. How stupid and silly can a rebel fan be?

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:20 pm

Jesus Sean, relax boy. Was just curious where he'd gone. Personally I like him as a footballer.

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by JBM1 Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:54 pm

What is it, two hundred and forty five clubs in the County and we can't produce twenty five IC footballers out of it...FFS...Then we have a lot of footballers and hurlers on the treatment table half the f.ing time. S/C me hole....We have a paid Director of Football and God only knows what the f. is he doing and oh yes, we have a big new brand stadium that was only filled twice by a soccer game and a rugby game. Not KOD's fault I know, but he needs to start sorting a lot of these problems fairly pronto!!

JBM1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 28 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16 ... 28  Next