Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cork senior football team 2022

+16
luasaigh
Jeremiah
Skyblue
Bigbird
JBM1
fullcourtpress
astnasquare
Sinbin
2hands
Podsy
Tipp Ex
Sean
T. Leaf
caughtforpace
Ranty
bittergaaman
20 posters

Page 5 of 28 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16 ... 28  Next

Go down

Cork senior football team 2022 - Page 5 Empty Re: Cork senior football team 2022

Post by bittergaaman Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:19 pm

And JBM, I think I'm close enough when I say Clare have only about 50 Gaa clubs of which only 11 clubs were used to pick the football team. How many of those clubs are of senior footballing level I don't know?

But, Cork GAA maybe is either too big with way too many clubs or Cork GAA is dysfunctional

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Cork senior football team 2022 - Page 5 Empty Re: Cork senior football team 2022

Post by Ranty Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:08 pm

bittergaaman wrote:And JBM, I think I'm close enough when I say Clare have only about 50 Gaa clubs of which only 11 clubs were used to pick the football team. How many of those clubs are of senior footballing level I don't know?

But, Cork GAA maybe is either too big with way too many clubs or Cork GAA is dysfunctional

A bit of both I'd say.
We have 261 clubs while Clare have 16 Football clubs and 26 Hurling clubs.
Our 261 are a mixum gatherum of all that's wrong. Douglas and Bishopstown are good examples of inefficiency.
Huge populations but win SFA. I could throw in Ballincollig there as well.
The distance between Mitchelstown and Castletownbere is another blocker in that selectors and interested people
fail to see the possible talent and there's nobody willing these days to give their free time to a baxtard football game
that has a bible full of rules that God nor man couldn't understand or enforce.
The clubs I mention above are Cork football in essence.... Nobody's fault, it's just the way it is in our huge county and until or unless we somehow appoint a football Board it will stay that way.
Cork isn't a football county and tethering on the brink of not being a GAA county either.

Ranty

bittergaaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:21 pm

I think a lot of the issues re; favoured clubs are in the past imo, the mix of clubs represented across our underage teams in particular are testament to that.
People on here from a rural bent need to realise that on the city and major urban towns other sports are more popular and come first whether soccer, athletics, basketball or rugby never mind hurling.
Add in that cork have too many clubs…we have too many clubs only competing at one grade or without underage or sharing a pariah etc

BUT the number 1 reason we as a county in both hurling and football are an absolute failure is we don’t take it seriously enough, we have management across codes who will not drop underperformance, it is almost impossible to be dropped from a cork senior panel when your established. Look at both panels and look at the senior players and think when did those players operate consistently across championship games……how are those players still on the panels and why are they there? It beggars belief and compared to other counties is an indication of how off the pace we are

Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:35 pm

Sean wrote:I think a lot of the issues re; favoured clubs are in the past imo, the mix of clubs represented across our underage teams in particular are testament to that.
People on here from a rural bent need to realise that on the city and major urban towns other sports are more popular and come first whether soccer, athletics, basketball or rugby never mind hurling.
Add in that cork have too many clubs…we have too many clubs only competing at one grade or without underage or sharing a pariah etc

BUT the number 1 reason we as a county in both hurling and football are an absolute failure is we don’t take it seriously enough, we have management across codes who will not drop underperformance, it is almost impossible to be dropped from a cork senior panel when your established. Look at both panels and look at the senior players and think when did those players operate consistently across championship games……how are those players still on the panels and why are they there? It beggars belief and compared to other counties is an indication of how off the pace we are

That's a mite harsh Sean, because the dropped lads would have to be replaced. I wouldn't deem to know the talented footballers in Cork who have been ignored but I have a reasonable knowledge of what's available and for the life of me I don't know of any better players than the current bunch.
What I do know is the subs aren't being used properly and many of them ignored completely until 70 the minute.
Asleep at the wheel is how I'd describe our management .

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:31 pm

So, of the teams below Cork in the league that can knock them out of the Sam Maguire, Fermanagh are first into action tomorrow against Derry. Surely to God Derry will win that one?

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:58 pm

Tipp Ex wrote:So, of the teams below Cork in the league that can knock them out of the Sam Maguire, Fermanagh are first into action tomorrow against Derry. Surely to God Derry will win that one?

They will Tipp, unless pigs can fly.

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:00 pm

Derry won 3-17 to 2-8.
One down, a bunch more to go (realistically Meath and Cavan?)

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:49 pm

Massive match for Cork today and we're not even playing.
Cavan v Armagh at 6.30.

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:15 pm

Good leaf for Armagh at halftime, 1-10 to 0-6

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:05 pm

Tipp Ex wrote:Good leaf for Armagh at halftime, 1-10 to 0-6

Another one bites the dust. I don't like supporting Donegal but will make an exception in the cause
of the Rebels,

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:47 pm

Donegal are in the horrors. Down could win that

Meath playing Offaly. Again they should win that. They then play the winners of Westmeath and Louth and the winner of that gets to a Leinster final against Dublin who will beat Kildare in the other semi final.

Sligo are into Sam Maguire after beating New York today.. I'd that right?

How mant teams left can knock out Cork?

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:31 pm

Clare scraped past limerick, tailteann cup is the standard of this current panel and management group

Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:30 pm

Sean wrote:Clare scraped past limerick, tailteann cup is the standard of this current panel and management group

Even McGrath Cup, sure we have that one in the display cabinet.

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:45 am

Tipp Ex wrote:Donegal are in the horrors. Down could win that

Meath playing Offaly. Again they should win that. They then play the winners of Westmeath and Louth and the winner of that gets to a Leinster final against Dublin who will beat Kildare in the other semi final.

Sligo are into Sam Maguire after beating New York today.. I'd that right?

How mant teams left can knock out Cork?

Surely only Down left. I'm hoping for the best but Donegal have been off the boil for the past few years.
T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:48 pm

Half Time

Donegal 1-4
Down 1-4

The match is live on BBC Northern Ireland.
T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Tipp Ex likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:47 pm

Full Time

Donegal 1-11
Down 2-13

Down not in the Ulster final yet, however.
T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:48 pm

So Down win 2-13 to 1-11.

They now play Armagh in the semi final and Cork will be shouting for Armagh.

I don't think I've ever looked at the Ulster football championship draw in my life until just now

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by caughtforpace Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:45 pm

Offaly going well against Meath. That suits us as Offaly are less likely to beat Louth and get to Leinster Final
Although when I think about it. Mickey Harte mightn't see much benefit in a potential hiding from the Dubs in Croke park when they're already safely in the Sam Maguire

Last edited by caughtforpace on Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:10 pm; edited 2 times in total

caughtforpace

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:06 pm

Jesus that's a big of a turn up, didn't expect any favours from Offaly

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by caughtforpace Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:40 pm

Looks like it's all down to Down.
I'll get my coat.

caughtforpace

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:43 pm

So Down and Kildare are the only 2? And both need to win? Kildare playing Dublin so are we nearly in?

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by caughtforpace Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:32 pm

Tipp Ex wrote:So Down and Kildare are the only 2? And both need to win? Kildare playing Dublin so are we nearly in?
Any two of Down, Offaly or Kildare win their semi finals and we're doomed.
I think Meath are shagged if any one of these win.
I'm confusing myself now

caughtforpace

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:06 pm

caughtforpace wrote:
Tipp Ex wrote:So Down and Kildare are the only 2? And both need to win? Kildare playing Dublin so are we nearly in?
Any two of Down, Offaly or Kildare win their semi finals and we're doomed.
I think Meath are shagged if any one of these win.
I'm confusing myself now

You're not the only person you're confusing!
T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:33 pm

Kildare will lose to Dublin.
You'd expect Armagh to beat Down.
League position suggests Louth beating Offaly.

We're sorted boy

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by caughtforpace Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:22 pm

I rescued this excellent post from the carnage of the PROC thread. I hope the author won't mind me sharing it here.

Obviously it would be a big disappointment if we didn’t qualify for Sam Maguire but I agree that one season in the Tailteann Cup might not be the worst thing for Cork football in the long run.

I don’t agree with Eamonn Murphy often but he made an interesting observation a few weeks back: that Cork only had one player starting (O’Callaghan) in Ennis from their double underage All Ireland winning teams in 2019. Obviously they’ve handled a lot of young players really well with Colm O’Callaghan, Walsh and O’Mahony being good examples of their trust in young players, but I wonder if we’ve dropped some other young guys from the panel too quickly. The coaches seemed to back O’Callaghan based on his potential rather than what he was producing 2 years ago, as he definitely looked out of his depth at times. But to the coaches’ credit, they kept the faith in O’Callaghan and this year he has been one of our best players. I wonder if the likes of Darragh Cahsman, Mark Cronin, Conor Corbett, Ryan O’Donovan, Blake Murphy, Damien Gore, Brian Hartnett and Alan Walsh could be in a similar position after two years of continuous backing.

Obviously backing these young guys over the next two years could backfire initially, but I think if we’re to be completely honest, this current Cork squad is probably unlikely to be challenging for an All Ireland anytime soon until we are able to get 7/8 players from those winning AI underage teams into the starting team and performing well. Other teams who have won AIs recently after poor periods (see Kerry and Tyrone) weren’t able to turn around their fortunes until they had a significant number of their young All Ireland winning teams (Clifford, O’Shea) dominating games for their senior teams. I’d like to see the likes of Darragh Cashman, Danny Linehan, Colm O’Shea and Gearoid O'Donovan getting plenty of opportunities in Defence in the next few years. I think Brian Hartnett, Alan Walsh, Jack Lawton and Keelan Scannell have shown that they could be worth persisting with as midfield options. In the forwards, Blake Murphy, Ryan O’Donovan and Damien Gore (along with the current young guys in the squad and some from this year’s U20 team) might be worth backing. The most important thing though, and Cleary and Ricken have done a good job in starting this, is that these young All Ireland winning players are setting the culture in the team, rather than guys who have been part of the panel — where the players/coaches have admitted that the standards have been low in a number of areas (see S&C) — over the last 6/7 years.

I wonder If there is an argument with the above in mind, to give Martin, Ian Maguire, Hurley and Sherlock the summer off and have them come back fresh for a push at division 2 promotion next season If we do end up in the Tailteann Cup. All four of them are the best available players in their positions in Cork club football but they’re unlikely to be in the next Cork AI winning team. Also from a tactical point of view, it might be a good idea to see what we can do differently at kick-outs, because some of our best players seem to have limitations around both sides of the kick-out.

caughtforpace

Tipp Ex likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 28 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16 ... 28  Next