Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cork senior football team 2022

+16
luasaigh
Jeremiah
Skyblue
Bigbird
JBM1
fullcourtpress
astnasquare
Sinbin
2hands
Podsy
Tipp Ex
Sean
T. Leaf
caughtforpace
Ranty
bittergaaman
20 posters

Page 8 of 28 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 18 ... 28  Next

Go down

Cork senior football team 2022 - Page 8 Empty Re: Cork senior football team 2022

Post by Ranty Tue May 23, 2023 9:07 am

Great post as usual 'Dhá Lámh'.
Hard to credit how Brian Hayes has opted for hurling as he's obviously not rated very high by that management team. Getting a few minutes at the very end of games is hardly enjoyable for the young man.
He'd probably be a starter on the football team but who knows?
How did Kerry allow Mayo to wear their own colours and they the home team wear the Munster Blue?
Kerry are not using it as an excuse but it seems odd that nobody in the media, even Leen , commented on it. Perhaps I missed it?

Ranty

Tipp Ex likes this post

Back to top Go down

Cork senior football team 2022 - Page 8 Empty Re: Cork senior football team 2022

Post by Sinbin Tue May 23, 2023 9:53 am

Ranty wrote:Great post as usual 'Dhá Lámh'.  
Hard to credit how Brian Hayes has opted for hurling as he's obviously not rated very high by that management team.   Getting a few minutes at the very end of games is hardly enjoyable for the young man.
How did Kerry allow Mayo to wear their own colours and they the home team wear the Munster Blue?
Kerry are not using it as an excuse but it seems odd that nobody in the media, even Leen , commented on it.   Perhaps I missed it?

Bit harsh on Brian Hayes there, Ranty, he's still a kid finding his way at senior intercounty hurling. If he wasn't rated highly by the hurling management he wouldn't have seen any gametime. It's his first season and has a lot of learning and development to do at this level.

You could well be right that he's better suited to a senior football career than hurling..I've often thought that myself...and it could be another Aidan Walsh situation. But the player himself has decided hurling is his preference and deserves a bit more time to make an impression.

Sinbin

Tipp Ex likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Tue May 23, 2023 3:37 pm

Sinbin wrote:
Hard to credit how Brian Hayes has opted for hurling as he's obviously not rated very high by that management team.   Getting a few minutes at the very end of games is hardly enjoyable for the young man.
Kerry are not using it as an excuse but it seems odd that nobody in the media, even Leen , commented on it.   Perhaps I missed it?

Bit harsh on Brian Hayes there, Ranty, he's still a kid finding his way at senior intercounty hurling. If he wasn't rated highly by the hurling management he wouldn't have seen any gametime. It's his first season and has a lot of learning and development to do at this level.

You could well be right that he's better suited to a senior football career than hurling..I've often thought that myself...and it could be another Aidan Walsh situation. But the player himself has decided hurling is his preference and deserves a bit more time to make an impression.

All I said was 'it's hard to credit'. No intention of being harsh on the young man and my apologies if it came across that way.
I just felt that sitting in a dugout, game after game must be soul destroying for good players?

Ranty

Tipp Ex likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinbin Tue May 23, 2023 6:57 pm

Ranty wrote:
Sinbin wrote:

All I said was 'it's hard to credit'.   No intention of being harsh on the young man and my apologies if it came across that way.
I just felt that sitting in a dugout, game after game must be soul destroying for good players?    

Ah yeah, I get that Ranty...no hassle.

I suppose my point was that he wouldn't be expected to become a nailed on championship starter in his first season at intercounty hurling level. Remains to be seen how he develops over the next year or two, but the player himself has nailed his colours to the hurling mast for now.

Sinbin

Tipp Ex likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Tue May 23, 2023 8:33 pm

He has indeed 'Sinbin' and the best of luck to him. Probably sees a better future with the stick me and only a step mother would blame him.
I don't watch this new hurling only when Cork are playing so my slant on Hayes is coloured by my ancient football brain.

I see on the Echo that the football team will be with Croke Park on Thursday but the great unwashed won't see it 'till 10AM on Friday.
We can get the knives out then and give Cleary and Co the benefit of our comprehensive knowledge.
You'd never know, he might read this sh one T.

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Fri May 26, 2023 10:24 am

The Cork Senior Football team to play Louth in the All Ireland Senior Football Championship Group 1 Round 1 has been announced

1 Micheál Aodh Martin (Nemo Rangers)
2 Maurice Shanley (Clonakilty)
3 Daniel O’Mahony (Knocknagree)
4 Tommy Walsh (Kanturk)
5 Luke Fahy (Ballincollig)
6 Sean Meehan (Kiskeam)
7 Matty Taylor (Mallow)
8 Colm O’Callaghan (Éire Óg)
9 Ian Maguire (St Finbarr’s)
10 Brian O’Driscoll (Tadhg Mac Carthaigh)
11 Ruairí Deane (Bantry Blues)
12 Killian O’Hanlon (Kilshannig)
13 Sean Powter (Douglas)
14 Brian Hurley (Castlehaven) Captain
15 Chris Óg Jones (Uibh Laoire)

16 Patrick Doyle (Knocknagree)
17 Kevin O’Donovan (Nemo Rangers)
18 Tom Clancy (Clonakilty)
19 Cian Kiely (Ballincollig)
20 Paul Walsh (Kanturk)
21 Eoghan McSweeney (Knocknagree)
22 Blake Murphy (St Vincents)
23 John O’Rourke (Carbery Rangers)
24 Mark Cronin (Nemo Rangers)
25 Steven Sherlock (St Finbarr’s)
26 Conor Corbett (Clyda Rovers)

That's it now fellow sufferers. Powter must be the most versatile footballer alive, No 2, No 6, No 11 and now No 13. Mickey Harte won't sleep a wink tonight wondering who he will designate to mark this bundle of energy.
I'm glad to see O Hanlon starting and now we will have a good fetcher to help O Callaghan and Maguire at MF if Mickey tries the long ball restarts.
Also chuffed to see Tom Clancy in the subs as well as Blake Murphy.
I think we are getting close to our best starting team with many good subs to call on if necessary but they must be used a lot earlier than heretofore.

Ranty

bittergaaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Fri May 26, 2023 10:56 am

I’m not sure how good o’hanlon is on frees but he will need to be good, good to see murphy on the bench as he offers something totally different to mcsweeney and o’rourke, the trick of course is to see will he get a run if needed or will we bring on o’rourke in the 68th minutes with cian kiely as per usual

Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Fri May 26, 2023 2:35 pm

Whos gonna do the scoring?

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Fri May 26, 2023 3:05 pm

Sean wrote:I’m not sure how good o’hanlon is on frees but he will need to be good, good to see murphy on the bench as he offers something totally different to mcsweeney and o’rourke, the trick of course is to see will he get a run if needed or will we bring on o’rourke in the 68th minutes with cian kiely as per usual

We presume Hurley will be on the short to medium length frees and from what I've seen of O Hanlon he's a far more
powerful dead ball striker than Sherlock especially into a breeze. I know Sherlock scored 10 points v Clare including a 45 down wind in the 2nd half so he's a trifle unlucky to miss the start tomorrow.
I think that forward line has the potential to beat Louth if Meehan can Limit Sam Mulroy. He gave the Dublin backs plenty headaches recently so he will need extra attention if we are to win.

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by fullcourtpress Fri May 26, 2023 3:21 pm

Would be more optimistic heading into this game seeing how Donegal and Mayo used the break to their benefit last weekend. The fact that all the league games had something hanging on them, the very short turnaround time, and reluctance to use fringe players, meant that this group of players were vulnerable to an ambush in Ennis, and the loss of the best man marking back and scoring forward didn't help. That said the performance on the day was dreadful and very uninspiring from the line. From what I've heard, they put 4-21 past Longford in a challenge afterwards and beat Roscommon a couple of weeks ago (no idea of score) with Hurley motoring well. Cork should be the fresher or the two teams for this one.

A lot of this game will depend on what style Louth decide to go with. For whatever reason they went attacking in the Leinster final and could've easily conceded eight or nine goals had the Dubs really wanted to. You'd imagine they'll revert to type this weekend and it could be a repeat of the dour affair that was seen in the pairc last year. Sherlock got a couple of huge scores that day as other Cork players could only handpass laterally around the perimeter of Louth's blanket, which makes his omission surprising. Hurley can be erratic on frees and still no leftie in there which isn't ideal. I think Cork will have enough to get over the line here but it probably won't be pretty. Unfortunately not able to head up myself so hoping the RTÉ three minute highlights tomorrow night will prove insightful...

fullcourtpress

Ranty likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by caughtforpace Fri May 26, 2023 4:08 pm

James Horan mentioned after Mayo's recent win that their layoff allowed squad players to impress during a prolonged training block and were duly rewarded with starting places v Kerry. This wasn't possible with games coming thick and fast all spring. It's likely that something similar has happened in the Cork camp. It was an ideal opportunity for players struggling for form like Meehan. Tough on mc Sweeney. Probably the most balanced side selected all year

caughtforpace

Ranty and Tipp Ex like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by astnasquare Fri May 26, 2023 6:22 pm

Think we're getting there selection wise as regards who's starting.... with sherlock gone tho you'd worry who's actually gonna kick the points, powter o driscoll and maguire are all runners and don't kick many points and usually resort to punching it over the bar if close enough, if louth employ a blanket defense we mightn't even got close enough to goal often enough to punch points, o driscoll is a worker and doesn't trouble the scoreboard much that leaves hurley o hanlon and jones to do the scoring, maube o callaghan but can't see that team kicking long range points like mayo were doing against kerry in the 1st half
Apparently meehan will play full back and o mahoney is going out centre back to mark mulroy... powter going to wing and deane starting inside maybe as a long ball option

We can talk all we want about personnell tho, the bottom line is are the team actually gonna play with a level of physicality, aggression and work rate out of possession all over the field, its our major achilles heel with this team they just don't tackle, has management spotted this and have they the coaching ability over the last 7wks to address the problem successfully... time will tell but i have my doubts... with micheàl martin in goal u can guarantee there'll be no kick out strategy again only punt it out and hope for the best, we lost to clare on this alone and management hasn't seen to change it so seriously doubt they've addressed the meeknees and lack of pace in moving the ball either

astnasquare

Tipp Ex likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Fri May 26, 2023 6:39 pm

I can tell you for a fact that in the challenge games the kickout has been the usual overload to the wing and the emphasis has been running the ball

Sean

Tipp Ex likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Fri May 26, 2023 7:36 pm

O Mahony is inclined to foul too much for my liking but needs must. Meehan probably isn't physical enough for Mulroy . My own choice would be Tom Clancy but he hasn't enough intercounty game time in the tank to be a starter.

Ranty

Tipp Ex likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by astnasquare Fri May 26, 2023 8:12 pm

Sean wrote:I can tell you for a fact that in the challenge games the kickout has been the usual overload to the wing and the emphasis has been running the ball

Well if thats the case we're screwed and its deeply disappointing things haven't changed or been addressed, so i expect the intensity and lack of physicality to be the same old same old too... and the usual problem of being clueless to breaking down a blanket defense... no coaching going on ao if they can't even spot and solve the kickout problem that single handidly lost us the clare game, maguire hasn't the hands to field hard high balls and o callaghan just can't get off the ground

astnasquare

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Fri May 26, 2023 8:15 pm

astnasquare wrote:
Sean wrote:I can tell you for a fact that in the challenge games the kickout has been the usual overload to the wing and the emphasis has been running the ball

Well if thats the case we're screwed and its deeply disappointing things haven't changed or been addressed, so i expect the intensity and lack of physicality to be the same old same old too... and the usual problem of being clueless to breaking down a blanket defense... no coaching going on ao if they can't even spot and solve the kickout problem that single handidly lost us the clare game, maguire hasn't the hands to field hard high balls and o callaghan just can't get off the ground

Unfortunately they have doubled down since the last day with a heavy emphasis on running the ball and creating overloads on one side for the kickout, this is old school stuff really but it’s been a long while even with the numerous outside coaches we have had that cork football is ahead or even alongside the curve.
Martin is a decent keeper at the nice to have stuff like shot stopping but his kickouts are awful and have been for a few years at this stage.
The only positive is the game isn’t televised as it will be awful, our side to side handpassing and louths 15 men behind their 45 knowing we don’t have a single player capable of kicking a long range point on the starting 15, it’s a fair gamble hoping Hurley can have a stormer as he is as quiet as he is good in games

Sean

Tipp Ex likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Fri May 26, 2023 8:26 pm

Jesus lads ye're depressing. I'm expecting a performance like the one where we made Kildare look like a pub team.
If they're as bad as some of you are saying, we should join up with Kilkenny and stick to the sticks.

Ranty

Tipp Ex likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Sat May 27, 2023 3:54 pm

Leading at HT by 1-8 to 0-7 but playing with a slight breeze says John Cashman. Brian O Driscoll got the goal 20 mins and both mid fielders a point each. Dean and Chris Og yet to register but Dean fouled for 2 of Hurley's 4 points.
Meehan off injured after 25 mins and replaced by Kevin O Donovan but O Mahony is gone back in to the edge of the square marking Mulroy.

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Sat May 27, 2023 4:09 pm

Leading by 6 to 2 in 20 seconds thanks to our Goalkeeper

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Sat May 27, 2023 4:18 pm

Louth with all the momentum now because of that fuck up. Draw game. They'll somehow have to stop kicking wides and quieten down the crowd, otherwise the game is gone. Who's our leaders to step up now?

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Sat May 27, 2023 4:52 pm

Steadied the ship. But haunted all the same, should never have been in that position. Important win. Subs did well.

But as usual the bus home will be like a small hospital

MM needs to be dropped

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Sat May 27, 2023 5:05 pm

Phew............stumbled over the line 1-19 to 1-17 with three injured soldiers. Meehan, Powter and Tommy Walsh.
Ml. A and O Mahony got their wires crossed for a short restart and gifted a goal to LOUTH when we were up by 5 around the 40th minute. Tit for Tat from there to the end and thanks to John Cashman and Jim Nolan for an excellent commentary on C103.
Six minutes of extra time and subs Corbett and John O Rourke scored breakaway points to save our bacon.
John Cashman singled out Colm O Callaghan for special mention, as well as Ian Maguire and Killian O Hanlon who ran out of steam towards the end and was replaced by McSweeney.
Looks like we only had 5 wides and scored 1-14 from play. Hurley scored the 5 frees, and Cashman said two of them were difficult.
Great to know that Brian O Driscoll can score and 1-1 in Navan will have him brimming with confidence v Kerry.
As expected we couldn't curtail Mulroy who scored 8 with 3 from play. In fairness our man Hurley scored 7 with 2 from play.
I suspect that we are well off the highest standard but at least we are now competitive just below the top grade.
WD lads

Ranty

Tipp Ex likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Sun May 28, 2023 9:10 am

From close analysis of the RTE clip it's difficult to know if our keeper of full back was to blame for the goal.
O Mahony was gesturing to indicate that he wanted it short but Martin was guilty of making a late decision in response. O Mahony fumbled it when tackled from behind so I'd blame him 70/30. Not that it makes any difference now but they both need to get their signals in order for the future.
In fairness they are not alone with these slip ups as we've seen plenty other counties messing up the shorties this year.

Ranty

bittergaaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Sun May 28, 2023 9:57 am

Calls for dropping M aodh are nonsense IMO. Rash knee jerk reactions. We are all human

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Sun May 28, 2023 10:39 am

It’s too late to drop him, we should have made a switch at keeper at the start of the league, his kickouts aren’t good enough as he launched every one long to the overload by the sideline yesterday putting massive pressure on Maguire and o’callaghan in particular who both stood up in fairness. This kickout will be eaten by mayo and Kerry and we all know that, however that’s a managment failure as opposed to an individual.
The short kickout yesterday was the keepers fault, he gave o’mahoney no chance, interestingly he was obviously conscious to get a short one away as he dropped his tee which he always uses even for short ones…
Anyway that aside the team dug it out yesterday and thankfully the Saturday game had their 2 best analysts on who were able to actually explain how cork play and why they were deserving winners.
Unfortunately we have gotten 2 serious injuries out of the game with Meehan and Walsh out….surprised if he was fit and called back into the squad that Clancy didn’t get match time yesterday? Presume o’donovan will automatically start for Walsh, if Maguire is out still they have a call to make at 6…..this is where only playing 17/18 players consistently all league becomes an issue when you have to reach back into your squad

Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 28 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 18 ... 28  Next