Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cork senior football team 2022

+16
luasaigh
Jeremiah
Skyblue
Bigbird
JBM1
fullcourtpress
astnasquare
Sinbin
2hands
Podsy
Tipp Ex
Sean
T. Leaf
caughtforpace
Ranty
bittergaaman
20 posters

Page 17 of 28 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22 ... 28  Next

Go down

Cork senior football team 2022 - Page 17 Empty Re: Cork senior football team 2022

Post by Tipp Ex Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:46 pm

James Masters in as a selector and kicking coach

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Cork senior football team 2022 - Page 17 Empty Re: Cork senior football team 2022

Post by Tipp Ex Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:03 pm

Update on the walking wounded. More rumours than anything else

Liam O'Donovan out longterm
Cathail O'Mahony out longterm. Made of glass that fella
Seán Powter did his hamstring against Meath they saying on PROC, not sure how reliable that is
Paul Ring going travelling next year to the USA

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:13 pm

Cork team for Limerick on Sunday. But I think theyve changed every team they've named this year so who knows who starts.
Good to see they haven't changed back to Mícheál A in goal anyway. Also, that's not exactly a scoring half forward line

1) Christopher Kelly (Eire Og)
(2) Kevin Flahive (Douglas)
(3) Daniel O’Mahony (Knocknagree)
(4) Tommy Walsh (Kanturk)
(5) Luke Fahy (Ballincollig)
(6) Sean Meehan (Kiskeam)
(7) Matty Taylor (Mallow)
(Cool Ian Maguire (St Finbarrs)
(9) Colm O’Callaghan (Eire Og)
(10) Paul Walsh (Kanturk)
(11) Sean Powter (Douglas)
(12) Brian O’Driscoll (Carrigaline)
(13) Chris Og Jones (Iveleary)
(14) Conor Corbett (Clyda Rovers)
(15) Brian Hurley (Castlehaven) Captain
(16) Micheal Aodh Martin (Nemo Rangers)
(17) Maurice Shanley (Clonakilty)
(18) Darragh Cashman (Millstreet)
(19) Thomas Clancy (Clonakilty)
(20) Kevin O’Donovan (Nemo Rangers)
(21) David Buckley (Newcestown)
(22) Eoghan McSweeney (Knocknagree)
(23) John O’Rourke (Carbery Rangers)
(24) Ruairi Deane (Bantry Blues)
(25) Mark Cronin (Nemo Rangers)
(26) Steven Sherlock (St Finbarrs)
(27) Fionn Herlihy (Dohenys)
(28) Cathal Maguire (Castlehaven)
(29) Damien Gore (Kilmacabea)
(30) Neil Lordan (Ballinora)

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by fullcourtpress Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:14 am

30 named but I still think it's only 26 allowed on matchday panel unless the rule has changed? Galway named their team for this weekend tonight also and only named 26 so I imagine it's still the same.

No sign of Cathail O’Mahony but heard a rumour last week he was back in training and recovering well. Chris Kelly getting the nod is a positive move (if he actually plays). Paul Walsh probably hasn't shot the lights out in the last two games but he must be doing something the management like to keep getting starts. Five years since his first start and nobody can really say whether he's an asset at this level or not (granted he's had injuries in that time).

In reality, should be looking to have this one sealed up with a good bit left to go and hopefully get a couple of players wrapped on cotton wool ahead of Killarney. Although Limerick teams have troubled Cork while a division 4 outfit in the past, they look in disarray this year with all the players that have not committed.

fullcourtpress

Tipp Ex likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:57 pm

Paul Walsh got the line from Mr Jerome Henry from Mayo two years ago for a wee tap on the ball which happened to be in the arms of Limerick's Paul Maher and because he stood his ground a few minutes later as Maher tried to go through him.
I don't know if Maher is still around but have no doubt Limerick will have a few like him even if they aren't great footballers.
I also heard that Mahony is close to being fit and would worry 'that crowd' if he's available for Killarney.
Ya, I know I shouldn't say that till we bate Limerick, but if we can't do that easily we should follow Kilkenny and give it up.

Ranty

Tipp Ex likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:38 pm

I fully expect Cork to take care of business tomorrow. I was nearly got to say I sense a very good vibe about the year ahead in championship but I wont - it's Cork footballers, they have burnt us n on so many occasions but I think they're a slow burner. Plus Limerick footballers are in the horrors, watever JP is doing it ain't rubbing off on the football team

Best of luck to Cork

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:45 pm

Down 7 points to 6 at HT. Turning to play with the wind in second half, would want to get the finger out

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by caughtforpace Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:47 pm

Putrid, Clueless, Rudderless

caughtforpace

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:18 pm

This is a really poor team

Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:34 pm

3-13 to 0-11. Mediocre effort.

The only positive I can think out of it is that the watching Kerry management will have learnt absolutely nothing

Last edited by Tipp Ex on Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:35 pm

Incidentally, Waterford beat Tipperary 2-7 to 1-5

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:40 pm

I only just remembered it was on! I think that sort of win was expected. Were they really all that bad?

We know they struggle with inferior teams.
T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by fullcourtpress Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:56 pm

Mundane enough fare even when Limerick were ahead at half time or when they got it back to 4 with ten minuted left. Cork performance could be best described as lackadaisical. A frightening amount of goal chances butchered once again. Limerick got a lot of joy out of the long kick outs (Josh Ryan in goals for them was outstanding with his kick outs against the wind in fairness).

Strongest performers were probably Chris Óg, Tommy Walsh and Ruairi Deane when he came on. A few players had off days but better to get that out of the system in a game like this. Wouldn't read much into the game overall really - Limerick wanted to avoid a trimming and played keep ball on numerous occasions which helps drag opposition down to their level and stops them running up a massive score by depriving them of the ball, but it's awful boring to watch. Game was over after Cork got 1-4 at the start of the second half.

Didn't seem to be any injuries although Sean Meehan took a heavy enough shoulder a few minutes before he came off, he didn't need attention at the time so presume he's alright. Lots to work on but probably better to go into the next game against that crowd with that mentality rather than having hit seven goals today and creating some form of expectation for it.

fullcourtpress

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:24 pm

I was hoping for a bit of a statement to be honest, job done and all that I suppose. Corbett and jones are flying it in fairness but we still don’t have enough footballers outside them to feed it into them. We have played kerry for 100 years by running hard and it rarely works.
When i look at Kerry with by their standards is an average midfield and a defence missing a full back you would almost feel there is a chance but very hard to see, I shouldn’t be but still fairly shocked at the little game time young Buckley has got over the season and especially today when he didn’t come on. Kelly is definitely a better kickout merchant at least

Sean

Tipp Ex likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:36 pm

Listening to John Cashman and John Fintan Daly we got the impression that keeper Kelly gave away at least two goal chances?

Paul Walsh barely got a mention in the commentary so it wasn't a surprise to hear that Deane replaced him.
We were also told that our mid field were beaten all ends up.

Ranty

Tipp Ex likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:23 pm

T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Tipp Ex likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by fullcourtpress Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:43 pm

Ranty wrote:Listening to John Cashman and John Fintan Daly we got the impression that keeper Kelly gave away at least two goal chances?

Paul Walsh barely got a mention in the commentary so it wasn't a surprise to hear that Deane replaced him.  
We were also told that our mid field were beaten all ends up.

He had one poor short kick out against the wind in first half that ended up with a point, but where better opposition could well have worked a goal. Can't recall what second chance they may have been talking about, unless it's the 21 yard free he gave away when carrying a ball out from under the crossbar and hitting the Limerick man what looked like a fair shoulder that knocked him on his arse.

Paul Walsh very much on the fringes of the game again alright. I'd expect Deane to start in Killarney. The performance of the two midfielders was a worry alright but they both had good games against Kerry last year. That said I think they've upgraded there this year with Joe O'Connor instead of Jack Barry.

Big question will be whether Powter will play as an orthodox centre forward or as a sweeper. I'd imagine the set up will be similar to last year's game and it'll be the latter. For all the talk of teams playing man on man now, I don't think any team will do that against Kerry with Clifford. They'll be weaker at the back as well without Jason Foley, while Cork have Corbett and Chris Óg a year older and stringer this year. I think there'll be goal chances to be had, but no hope if the profligacy of the year so far continues.

fullcourtpress

Ranty, Tipp Ex and Podsy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

I think rumours of Jason foleys demise are over egged and he will be a tough market for Corbett.
Our lack of alternatives at midfield will hurt being time on Saturday, if your beaten there all ends up by limerick well even an average kerry midfield will do well.
I presume at least Kelly will start and we can break up our kickouts, individually our defenders are decent imo, still don’t think our much heralded defensive system is optimum as it focuses on space as opposed to physical pressure at times.
Half forward line will work hard but won’t contribute enough up top while I don’t think our captain is in good form and it’s a top class free taker, quite incredible that in 2024 kerry have Sean o’se and we are struggling with anything outside 30 yards…Kerry by 6

Sean

Tipp Ex and caughtforpace like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:54 pm

Reading above posts increases my depression with Cork football. As I walked down Clonliffe Rd, with a wet arse in 2010 ( Sitting under a massive dropdown from a leaking gutter) my old heart was light.
We had just beaten Down in an All Ireland final, something Kerry had failed to do ever.
That was 14 years ago and most of that team have retired. Shields and Kerrigan still top scorers in recent league games for their clubs probably indicates the depth or lack of talent coming through.
I don't share the worry about mid field. The two Kerry O Connors are average at best and those Limerick 'Fathacs' would outfield most.
You can be sure that the short restarts will dominate on Saturday and Ryan will tap out as many as our lad whoever he is.
I also hope it's Chris Kelly in goal, but I wouldn't bet on that. This is Cork football after all, and we are capable of the strangest things.
Either way, I don't think the gap will be as big as most pundits here and in the media tell us.
If Cathal O Mahony gets 30 or 40 minutes and perhaps David Buckley also, we might surprise a few experts.
Here's hoping that Mr Mooney from Cavan gives us a few breaks.

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by 2hands Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:03 pm

I’d love you to be right Ranty but sadly there’s nothing but hope and memories of those wet arse days to suggest you will be.

The lowest total Kerry posted in the league was 2-08 against Derry. Even when getting their arses handed to them against Dublin they scored 1-17. Cork’s defence is more leaky than any of the defences they have faced to date. Cork’s attack is unlikely to put up the 17 or 18 points which will be needed as a minimum. We know Kerry are vulnerable under the high ball, but we also know that they love nothing more than blackguarding tall Cork forwards and small pacy Cork forwards. So unless some lad called Cussen can be called on for one last hurrah I can only see this going one way.

2hands

Ranty likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:10 pm

Shucks 'Dhá Lámh' those scoring stats are depressing me more.
My old cup is half full as a rule and having seen Leen's Kerry team posted on X with Morley at No 3, I'm giving us a small chance of doing a Mayo 2023 on that crowd.

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:50 pm

Team V Kerry. Tommy Walsh centre back? Seán Meehan dropped? Whats the thinking there i wonder? Powters positioning is it? Ruairí Deane will be first sub anyway, in around the 45th minute
Anyway, that probably won't be the starting team if this management stick to form

(1) Christopher Kelly (Eire Og)
(2) Kevin Flahive (Douglas)
(3) Daniel O’Mahony (Knocknagree)
(4) Maurice Shanley (Clonakilty)
(5) Luke Fahy (Ballincollig)
(6) Tommy Walsh (Kanturk)
(7) Matty Taylor (Mallow)
(Cool Ian Maguire (St Finbarrs)
(9) Colm O’Callaghan (Eire Og)
(10) Paul Walsh (Kanturk)
(11) Sean Powter (Douglas)
(12) Brian O’Driscoll (Carrigaline)
(13) Chris Og Jones (Iveleary)
(14) Conor Corbett (Clyda Rovers)
(15) Brian Hurley (Castlehaven) Captain

(16) Micheal Aodh Martin (Nemo Rangers)
(17) Sean Meehan (Kiskeam)
(18) Darragh Cashman (Millstreet)
(19) Thomas Clancy (Clonakilty)
(20) Kevin O’Donovan (Nemo Rangers)
(21) David Buckley (Newcestown)
(22) Eoghan McSweeney (Knocknagree)
(23) John O’Rourke (Carbery Rangers)
(24) Ruairi Deane (Bantry Blues)
(25) Mark Cronin (Nemo Rangers)
(26) Steven Sherlock (St Finbarrs)

Extra Panel Members;

Fionn Herlihy (Dohenys), Cathal Maguire (Castlehaven), Damien Gore (Kilmacabea), Neil Lordan (Ballinora), Patrick Doyle (Knocknagree), Rory Maguire (Castlehaven), Jacob O’Driscoll (Valley Rovers), Killian O’Hanlon (Killshannig), Jack Cahalane (Castlehaven), Cathail O’Mahony (Mitchelstown)

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:30 pm

I would have Tom Clancy there and leave Tommy where he was all the league games. He'll have Paudie Clifford to watch if we can believe Jack O. Shanley had David's number last year so I suppose he was always getting the No 4 jersey.
Flahive will sleep well on Saturday night after following Dara Moynihan around, but I think he'll do well.
Daniel O Mahony on shaper Seanie will be key and if Chris Og Jones get's the right ball he should torment Paul Murphy and score his usual 1-3 or maby more.
Let's hope we stuff the hoors.

Ranty

Tipp Ex, top of the right, fullcourtpress and caughtforpace like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by caughtforpace Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:47 am

Cork senior football team 2022 - Page 17 Algwpj10

caughtforpace

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:02 am

I hope the least we do is that the team does themselves proud, they have worked their bollix off for the last few years to recover from the real wilderness years and today is an opportunity to put cork footballers back on peoples list as a serious outfit

Sean

Ranty and caughtforpace like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 28 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22 ... 28  Next