Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cork senior football team 2022

+16
luasaigh
Jeremiah
Skyblue
Bigbird
JBM1
fullcourtpress
astnasquare
Sinbin
2hands
Podsy
Tipp Ex
Sean
T. Leaf
caughtforpace
Ranty
bittergaaman
20 posters

Page 26 of 28 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

Go down

Cork senior football team 2022 - Page 26 Empty Re: Cork senior football team 2022

Post by caughtforpace Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:04 pm

I said I'd leave it a few days before I posted.
I couldn't watch it back it was that bad.
It's no coincidence we've being getting some very poor calls from referees all this year. Cavan in the league, Killarney and last week in Tullamore. We're a second tier team and they're the calls you get when you're there. While what Taylor did was stupid no ref would blow a Kerry, Dublin or Mayo for that to end their championship. If he did he would be absolutely filleted in the media. We had the free after half time and the challenge on O Callaghan. Then Hurley gets pulled for slightly stepping over the sideline.
I would have no issue with the way we played considering how Louth set up. We don't have the players who can carry into contact and it would have been suicide to try. When your opposition know there is zero threat of a 30 yard pass to an inside forward then they can just mark the space in front of their men. What puzzles me is why our forwards are even making runs when it's obvious we are not allowed to make the pass. These passes were available on numerous occasions on Sunday and it wasn't even considered by our midfield and half forwards. This has to be a policy issue.
That said, if this is how the players are instructed then our tactics were correct and we are winning that game by 6 or 7 points if we take our chances and don't concede that silly goal. Kelly has been excellent all year and you will have mistakes. Saying that I thought the Louth player made no attempt to contest and collided with Kelly when he was in the air. Have no doubt, if that's Ian Maguire and the Louth keeper, it's a free out. I was amazed that Kelly didn't protest.
I was right in front of the Chris Og black card in Tullamore and while Jones was criticised for his stupidity I was livid with how he bottled going flat out for that ball. He would have got there first and at least have got a touch and probably seen Morgan black carded. Calling a spade a spade he bottled those two chances on Sunday. I don't think you can ever get that sort of cowardice out of a player.
We badly need to inject some new ideas into our play and I think Kevin Walsh needs to be replaced. Cleary seems to operate as if he is managing Castlehaven. Flog the very last out of the old stagers with very little personnel changes. Continuous player development isn't even on the radar.
I'd like to see someone like James Horan brought on board.

caughtforpace

Ranty and Tipp Ex like this post

Back to top Go down

Cork senior football team 2022 - Page 26 Empty Re: Cork senior football team 2022

Post by Ranty Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:49 pm

Can't blame you C F P for not watching it again.
I stumbled on the last 20 minutes tonight by accident and I'm even more depressed now than I was Sunday evening.
My first tv shot tonight was Cronin's miss with his right from 20 yards. Almost hit the corner flag and replaced by Corbett almost immediately.
The next 10 minutes were a mixture of incredibly silly moves by players who must have been out of gas as the things I saw them do were foreign to them and to me. I won't list them.
But the most bizarre event was not from the players.
We are playing with the wind and struggling for scores and what do we do. Take off our free taker and within minutes Hurley kicks a 45 back to the half back line and them Tom Clancy does the same on the other side of the field after O Callaghan won a free from a throw in. ( Hurley's indiscretion on taking sideline)
Last but not least or as Brian Tyres would say ' Ní hey sin ach é sheo'...Kelly goes walkabout with a minute left and gives a hospital forward pass to Flahive who is fouled and loses the ball to Lennon who gallops into the scoring zone, where Mattie and Maguire surround him. Lennon dives, Mooney buys it, Mulroy can't believe his luck, says thanks Mr Mooney and Cork are on the bus south empty handed and forlorn.
I don't like blaming players and I won't start now. They played the way management instructed and it's not rocket science to figure out where the blame lies for last Sunday.
Thanks for the memories lads but we need wiser heads if we are remotely interested in competing at the top table. I suspect we are not.

Ranty

Tipp Ex, top of the right and caughtforpace like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:26 pm

https://www.echolive.ie/corksport/arid-41422699.html

He means well but................

Barry O Mahony covers the same ground. They all get paid for telling us what we know too well but
neither has a bad word to say about the injustice of 'soft' frees.
I never see any journo use the word 'wrong' because that's what it was and it cant be changed now
unless ...............................gimme a break

Ranty

bittergaaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by fullcourtpress Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:10 pm

Have been abroad the last few days so only managed to catch the second half on the radio. Felt like listening to a slow motion car crash. I know they've improved, but there's something awful degrading about going out of a championship to fucking Louth. As bad as many Cork teams have been in the last decade, they've generally managed to avoid defeats to proper minnows (Tipp in 2020 the exception, but that game/year was just very strange anyway).

Playing complete risk averse stuff against a county like Louth, while you're often taking 2-3 mins of lateral possession before getting off a shot, basically guarantees that they'll still be in the game near the end. The 70 minutes get used up fairly fast when you're busy wasting them doing nothing. There's more forlorn discussions to be had about the long-term future of Cork football given the standard of some of the underage teams we've seen in the last couple of years, but I've no doubt that if Cork went out on Sunday with the attitude of "we're better footballers than this crowd", and actually tried running at them, out-skilling them and out-scoring them that we'd be looking forward to a game in Croke Park this weekend. I'd imagine its a much more enjoyable game for a player to go out and try and execute as well. Instead it sounds as if they played like 15 lads petrified of losing the ball and being at fault for a break, and in the end it came to pass.

I'm conflicted on whether Cleary should stay on (if he wants to) but I'm leaning towards the opinion its for the best that there's new management. This year feels like it was a massive chance to get to a quarter final directly while avoiding Dublin or Kerry, and it wasn't taken. Powter has more or less said he'll be in Oz from next year, Hurley must be thinking about packing it in with his injuries, Corbett who knows but his form has fallen off a cliff since March in a way you'd rarely see in an inter county player. More than any personnel issues, I think that this hyper conservative approach isn't feasible for long-term success and would probably be found out next year by opposition copping on and our own lads getting a bit disillusioned with it. Cleary and Kevin Walsh have done a very good job in steering this thing, because this team in the 2022 league was absolutely awful and most definitely heading for Tailteann cup, and its unfortunate they'll be remembered for such an ignominious defeat but that's sport. I've no idea who could come in, but it wouldn't be an easy job - try to evolve the tactics while embedding a few younger players who've been starved of game time over the last couple of seasons and will take time to settle in as a result. All this in division 2, where a few bad games can see you drop into the Tailteann. 2010 may as well have occurred in another universe.

fullcourtpress

Ranty, Tipp Ex, top of the right and caughtforpace like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:53 pm

Galway bate Dublin by a point. Thats them gone. Kerry laughing

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by JBM1 Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:58 pm

FFS

JBM1

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Sat Jun 29, 2024 8:25 pm

Tipp Ex wrote:Galway bate Dublin by a point. Thats them gone. Kerry laughing

Mickey Harte might have something to say about that around 5pm tomorrow evening.

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by 2hands Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:55 pm

Ranty wrote:
Tipp Ex wrote:Galway bate Dublin by a point. Thats them gone. Kerry laughing

Mickey Harte might have something to say about that around 5pm tomorrow evening.

It would be great to see both Dublin and Kerry gone, if only to instil a bit of proper intrigue into the championship again. I suspect that’s not how it will play out.Great result long term for the GAA, though. The semi finals and finals will probably sell out anyway and the idea that Dublin are actually not invincible might bring the Dublin crowds back again (slowly) next year. It also means that there might be more support for a change in championship format as Dublin in the last ten minutes showed all the signs of a team who hadn’t been in a tight spot that mattered for a while.

Dessie will be gone now. It will be interesting to see who comes next.

Galway’s ability to kick the ball over the bar from distance, their pace on the counter and the ability of their forwards to sell a dummy and shoot were impressive. They also got the few bits of luck you need to get over the line against teams like Dublin. But maybe today marked the death of the hand up? If it did, I certainly won’t be complaining.

2hands

Ranty and Tipp Ex like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:49 pm

Kerry v Armagh
Galway v Donegal

Kerry just pushed on in the second half against Derry. Nice to see them do well 🥵

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:06 pm

Tipp Ex wrote:Kerry v Armagh
Galway v Donegal

Kerry just pushed on in the second half against Derry. Nice to see them do well 🥵

Whooooooooaaaaaaaaa stop the lights

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by caughtforpace Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:43 pm

Can't see them being beaten. I'd give Donegal the best chance of the three. The problem with these new rules that are being considered, is anything that encourages free flowing football will suit the bastards.

caughtforpace

Tipp Ex likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:45 pm

Tried to watch TSG last night but just couldn't take it. Switched over to a pin ball tournament in Thailand immediately.
Having suffered through hours and hours of boring drivel on Saturday and Sunday, the very sight of Cora did the trick.
Bad enough to have one asking the highly intelligent questions but sweet mother of morris minors when Cora starts her monologue it's time to put the cat out.
Jim Gavin probably can't do anything about TSG but it's now even more difficult to watch than the stuff they are supposed to be analysing.
Gimme a break.

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:04 am

Sean Kelly can't watch it either.
These 'sandbag' trials are a bit silly too IMHO.
Having said that, the soccer stuff now in the Europeans is just as boring.
I can't wait for Jim Gavin to introduce the 'offside' rule in gaelic football.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-41427649.html

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:11 pm

Ya last Sunday was very bad, at least Galway V Dublin was good (i think) but of course nobody saw that one cause it clasehed with loads other things and was on a paywall.
Gaelic Football need surgery right now

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:43 pm

Tipp Ex wrote:Ya last Sunday was very bad, at least Galway V Dublin was good (i think) but of course nobody saw that one cause it clasehed with loads other things and was on a paywall.
Gaelic Football need surgery right now

Yes Tipp, it has needed surgery for years but the theatre is closed.
Yerra when 'that crowd' win this one 'for Micheál' and the Rose of Tralee is
blaring over the tannoy in Mala, as they pass through, all will be forgotten.
The crowd from the hills won't give two shites about puke football if they
have the Sam to display in Puck fair along with the goat.

Ranty

Tipp Ex likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:09 pm

https://www.echolive.ie/corksport/arid-41423890.html

Change needed here, thanks but new direction needed

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:34 pm

Tipp Ex wrote:https://www.echolive.ie/corksport/arid-41423890.html

Change needed here, thanks but new direction needed

I agree Tipp. Win or lose it's time to play football.
Let Cork be the first team to stop this boring lateral hand passing.
It really cannot push us down any further than we are.
This possession at all cost is unwatchable and I doubt if players enjoy it either.
I haven't asked so if we have any current players on here perhaps we will get an answer to that?
Even that crowd are unhappy with Sunday's exhibition of slow ball.
I doubt if Cleary and Walsh will change their tactics so it's best if they move on and
thanks for your efforts lads but Cork needs a new beginning.
The new National League is the place to start.

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:15 pm

Colm O Rourke tried valiantly with Meath. Didn't work out so well. S+C has taken over from Skill... couldn't see Colm Cooper or JBM being picked on a modern day intercounty panel these days unfortunately

bittergaaman

Tipp Ex likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:32 pm

bittergaaman wrote:Colm O Rourke tried valiantly with Meath. Didn't work out so well. S+C has taken over from Skill... couldn't see Colm Cooper or JBM being picked on a modern day intercounty panel these days unfortunately

I doubt if O Rourke had enough good kickers to implement his plan. He says that he hasn't given up
on the idea so we will see how they perform in 2025.
You are spot on about JBM and the Gooch. It was comical watching the Gooch chasing Philly McMahon
Dublin and giving up as Philly passed mid field and gaining ground.
J B M admitted that he hated playing half forward as there was too much running required out there.
When we saw David Clifford on the end line last Saturday as a corner back and only one point from
play it shows what a crap game we now witness.
We live in hope that Jim Gavin will improve things but big bodies move slowly so I wouldn't bet on it.

Ranty

Tipp Ex likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:57 am

“There was significant debate on the state of football in the county with all agreeing that there was ground to make up despite the recent progress on some fronts.

Above quote from 'secret' CCB meeting re state of football in Cork. I'd love to know where
they got " recent progress on some fronts".

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Fri Jul 05, 2024 5:06 pm

Ranty wrote:“There was significant debate on the state of football in the county with all agreeing that there was ground to make up despite the recent progress on some fronts.

Above quote from 'secret' CCB meeting re state of football in Cork.   I'd love to know where
they got " recent progress on some fronts".

Yes and they all agreed that there was ground to make up. Thats fantastic news, took a debate for them to come up with that.

Tipp Ex

bittergaaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Fri Jul 19, 2024 3:21 pm

John Cleary staying on in 2025.

Is done now, gotta live with it. However, he absolutely needs to shake up his backroom team and loosen the shackles a bit. And experiment a bit ffs

https://www.echolive.ie/corksport/arid-41439892.html

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigbird Fri Jul 19, 2024 11:20 pm

What difference will it make shaking up the backroom team?
Three of the backroom team including Walshhave walked away as they had absolutely no say on player selection. Do ye think John will bring in selectors and coach thar will challenge John's say on what system Cork play . It's John Clearys way or no way.

Bigbird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Sat Jul 20, 2024 1:25 pm

I was hoping for change as I find it hard to forgive the Louth performance.
I was also hoping that we were at a level a step or two higher than Louth and I'm blaming tactics for the loss.
There has to be a better way to play gaelic football than the constant lateral hand passing that we saw from Cork in that match.
Looks like more of the same in 2025 unless Jim Gavin's new rules suit us.

Ranty

Tipp Ex likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by top of the right Sat Jul 20, 2024 3:30 pm

Very disappointed with this outcome, went to see Cork play Kerry, thought it was a good performance. Went to Tullamore to see them play Tyrone but saw no improvement in their performance. Far too much lateral play, with no end result. Same subs coming on late, offering no improvement. Hopefully Cleary will take a serious look at this year's performances and change things around especially in attack, and improve things greatly in 2025.

top of the right

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 28 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next