Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cork senior football team 2022

+16
luasaigh
Jeremiah
Skyblue
Bigbird
JBM1
fullcourtpress
astnasquare
Sinbin
2hands
Podsy
Tipp Ex
Sean
T. Leaf
caughtforpace
Ranty
bittergaaman
20 posters

Page 14 of 28 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21 ... 28  Next

Go down

Cork senior football team 2022 - Page 14 Empty Re: Cork senior football team 2022

Post by caughtforpace Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:15 am

Was very worried at how comfortable Roscommon were after 25 mins and we could have been in deep trouble had Smyth goaled.
Mc Sweeney never got going and credit management for early subbing.
Turnovers are a hazard of the way we break from defense and give the pass on sight.
Poorly managed the last 10. Along with some brainfarts, our half backs and midfield were too detached from our full backs and keeper.
Glad to see Corbett massively up his workrate and get his reward with a well taken goal.
Injury will decide how competitive we'll be next day out.

caughtforpace

Back to top Go down

Cork senior football team 2022 - Page 14 Empty Re: Cork senior football team 2022

Post by 2hands Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:08 am

Smith going off had a big bearing on the game. He was arguably a bigger loss for their style of play than Hurley was for ours. But those are the breaks.

Lads are giving out about the failure to show a red card for the punch. We forget fairly quickly that Maguire himself got the benefit of the exact same decision the week before. I thought at the time that Chris Og was fouled for the goal attempt that went wide and watching it back I’m even more convinced. He was giving frees for that type of tackle out the field (and rightly so). I think Powter had one given against him. Chris Ogs failure to lift the ball for the other goal chance was a shame, but to be fair to him he was actually trying to look up to see if there was someone else in position. If he’d been more selfish he’d probably have a goal to his name.

Corbett’s cool finish for the goal was a real sign of a natural forward. Even better for me was one run he made inside his marker when we were attacking about five minutes afterwards. I nearly had to pinch myself that a Cork forward had made a run like that. Sadly the player in possession didn’t spot it, but it was the sort of movement that will open up defences. It will be interesting to see what they do if Hurley is not fit at the weekend. I think we have to start with more than one dangerous scoring forward as otherwise it is too easy for the opposition to bottle that forward up.

2hands

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:47 pm

Can't agree with you there 'Dhá Lámh'. Smith did get a red card in the 74th minute and there was only one more play after that which was a Cork free that was lofted into the Roscommon backs. They won the aerial battle but Cawley blew full time before they could kick it.
I'm one of Cawley's greatest critics but how he spotted the technical foul by Conor Daly defies logic. Justice was done as he failed to give Donie Smith a black card after he clearly rugby tackled Deane near HT. Smith came off the worst for his effort though and was replaced soon after with a gammy shoulder.
Micheál A nearly cost us despite his two great saves. He should never have got that back pass anyway from Mattie as Tom Clancy was standing alone and lonesome on Martin's right.
Yes, I'm nit picking and in fairness to our team they made very few mistakes on a greasy pitch with a soapy ball, least of all Mattie who was simply fantastic for 75 minutes.
Must also give Tom Clancy a high mark for his late tackle at the expense of a sideline free when we were level with 2 minutes left and if the Roscommon man managed to get by him he could have scored or earned a winning free.
I hope he starts the next day as we need his experience and undoubted football skill in Croke Park.

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by caughtforpace Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:55 pm

Spot on Ranty. Clancy was very assured and has great positional sense. That was a great tackle. Not long after coming in he resisted biting towards the oncoming forward and prevented a dangerous overlap. Simple but crucial stuff. Live I thought he should have competed in the air for one kick out but tv showed he rightly turned for the break off O Callaghan who should have contested. Don't think he has the conditioning for a full game in Croke Park though.

caughtforpace

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:32 pm

Mayo Galway was a hard watch

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:24 pm

bittergaaman wrote:Mayo Galway was a hard watch

Like all the others. Hurson denied Mayo a perfectly legit goal. Then again he's no worse than
the rest of them whistlers and they all make up their own rules depending on what side of the bed
they escape from that morning.

Ranty

bittergaaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2hands Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:08 pm

Ranty wrote:Can't agree with you there 'Dhá Lámh'.   Smith did get a red card in the 74th minute and there was only one more play after that which was a Cork free that was lofted into the Roscommon backs.   They won the aerial battle but Cawley blew full time before they could kick it.

Sorry Ranty. I meant Donie Smith. I agree that he was lucky to escape the black card, but he probably released the grip just in time. How he didn’t even get a yellow was a mystery though. The damage he did to his shoulder cost him and probably cost Roscommon. He was a bit like their quarterback before that.

Looking at the teams who are left, I suspect they are quietly confident in the Kingdom all of a sudden. That hammering they gave Louth could have unlocked their season for them.

2hands

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:51 pm

Ranty wrote:
bittergaaman wrote:Mayo Galway was a hard watch

Like all the others.   Hurson denied Mayo a perfectly legit goal.     Then again he's no worse than
the rest of them whistlers and they all make up their own rules depending on what side of the bed
they escape from that morning.

That actually feels depressingly accurate

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:27 pm

2hands wrote:
Ranty wrote:Can't agree with you there 'Dhá Lámh'.   Smith did get a red card in the 74th minute and there was only one more play after that which was a Cork free that was lofted into the Roscommon backs.   They won the aerial battle but Cawley blew full time before they could kick it.

Sorry Ranty. I meant Donie Smith. I agree that he was lucky to escape the black card, but he probably released the grip just in time. How he didn’t even get a yellow was a mystery though. The damage he did to his shoulder cost him and probably cost Roscommon. He was a bit like their quarterback before that.

Looking at the teams who are left, I suspect they are quietly confident in the Kingdom all of a sudden. That hammering they gave Louth could have unlocked their season for them.

For some weird reason they are very worried about meeting Tyrone and one of their stats experts tells me
that they now have a 50% chance of that happening.
Ya, Donie Smith was a big loss but as you say, he should have got at least a yellow.
Then again, after watching TSG tonight, I'll have to compliment ref Hurson for spotting Conor Daly's technical foul as he was at least 50 yards away. Thank you Sean for such vigilance.

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:50 am

Here we go again.  Revenge for '93.

Cork v Derry
Mayo v Dublin
Monaghan v Armagh
Kerry v Tyrone

Have we improved enough to keep Rogers, Glass and McGuigan under wraps.?
Larry McCarthy says we'll know around lunch time today if it's Saturday or Sunday

Ranty

Tipp Ex and luasaigh like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:04 pm

T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by 2hands Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:16 pm

T. Leaf wrote:Croke Park, Sunday, 1.45

https://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/328312

That’s a good time for Cork footballers. Even if it goes to extra time we’ll still have time to get the train home so the team will probably show up for the throw in. Wink

On a serious note, Derry are the ‘best of the rest’ in the eyes of many. They’ll fancy their chances against us and will have the benefit of coming in fresh. Like Cork, they don’t give up easily so even if we get ahead we’ll need to do better than we did in the last ten minutes on Sunday to come through.

It will be interesting to see who is fit and ready to go. I thought Fahy’s injury looked more like a dead leg on Sunday as I think the Roscommon player accidentally kneed him into the side of his leg. He was still limping heavily after the game but hopefully it was the equivalent of a ‘stinger’.

But sure, Cork are such an ‘awful’ team (I think that was the word Brolly used to describe us after the Kerry game when he was slagging off mediocre Kerry for struggling to put us away) that there won’t be too many in Derry worried about needing to shut the gates on Sunday.

2hands

Ranty likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:28 pm

We drew with them 1-14 each in the final league match on March 26th in Pairc UI Chaoimh when they were already assured of top place in Div 2.   They still sent a strong team down excluding Glass .
Colm O Callaghan did a good job on Rogers and even scored 2 points against 1 for Rogers.   We were missing Dan O Mahony from defence and Hurley up front also.    Pretty much the same panel as now, except that Meehan is injured and Paul Ring and Dano Dinneen are gone for whatever reason.   Paul Walsh got about 1 minute game time in extra time and we haven't seen him since. I think it was Killian O Hanlon's 1st game back after injury and when introduced late on scored 2 points.   Brian O Driscoll scored the goal.   A rocket on the fly from close range.
The media everywhere have adopted this Derry team as their pets and they all tell us they are the bees knees in football ability.
I'm not buying it.   We have improved beyond recognition since then and if Joe McQuillan gives us a fair crack of the whip another 1-14 might do the trick.
At least we avoided the 'Kenmare Road' whistler who is in charge of the Mayo -Dublin game after ours.

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:36 am

Cork team and subs v Derry on Sunday 2nd July 2023.
Looks like Fahy's injury is more serious than expected but his replacement Kevin O Donovan has a lot going for him including experience and scoring ability.
Also good to see Darragh Cashman making the subs bench.
Not even one pundit gives us a chance of beating Derry, even if James O Donoghue Kerry has suggested a fun bet of four draws (Lucky 15) over the weekend.
I'll repeat what I said before, if Colm O Callaghan can stay with Ambrose Rogers we have a better than even chance of beating them.
McQuillan is a decent enough ref so lets hope there are no more soft penalties like Geaney bought off the Kenmare Road ref.

1 Micheál Aodh Martin (Nemo Rangers)
2 Maurice Shanley (Clonakilty)
3 Rory Maguire (Castlehaven)
4 Tommy Walsh (Kanturk)
5 Kevin O’Donovan (Nemo Rangers)
6 Daniel O’Mahony (Knocknagree)
7 Matty Taylor (Mallow)
8 Colm O’Callaghan (Éire Óg)
9 Ian Maguire (St Finbarr’s)
10 Brian O’Driscoll (Tadhg Mac Carthaigh)
11 Ruairí Deane (Bantry Blues)
12 Killian O’Hanlon (Kilshannig)
13 Sean Powter (Douglas)
14 Steven Sherlock (St Finbarrs)
15 Eoghan Mc Sweeney (Knocknagree)

16 Patrick Doyle (Knocknagree)
17 Cian Kiely (Ballincollig)
18 Tom Clancy (Clonakilty)
19 Darragh Cashman (Millstreet)
20 Paul Walsh (Kanturk)
21 Chris Óg Jones (Uibh Laoire)
22 Conor Corbett (Clyda Rovers)
23 John O’Rourke (Carbery Rangers)
24 Mark Cronin (Nemo Rangers)
25 Brian Hurley (Castlehaven) Captain
26 Fionn Herlihy (Dohenys)

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:17 am

Fahy is a big loss he has been outstanding for a lot of this year outside the mayo game, o’donovan is an able replacement and can score. Good to see cashman on the panel and if he had an injury free year he would be pushing hard for a place on the team.
Derry are favourites and deservedly so, I didn’t listen to the Rte podcast as it started off taking about structures and I didn’t want to get sick while driving.
For cork to win we certainly need another massive shift from the bench, we need to stick with Derry all through and not leave them build a lead like mayo or Roscommon as these fellas would be unlikely to let it go.
I know a lot of people feel Derry have the best midfield on the country and Rodger’s and glass are super players but when you add o’hanlon, Deane and o’driscoll to the mix I feel this is actually an area we should
Continue to kick long,left and loopy to.
I hope and presume the confidence is coursing throughout this squad and deservedly so, hopefully they bring the absolute fight and determination again Sunday and if they do it will be a good team that beats them

Sean

Ranty likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by fullcourtpress Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:07 pm

If it wasn't for the third week in a row factor I'd be giving us a decent chance here as well. But lads looked visibly exhausted in the last 10 the last day and Derry wouldn't be the ideal team to face when fatigued even if they had faced the same schedule. That said, maybe Derry will have the opposite problem - their last game was in front of a very small crowd against a Clare team with nothing to play for, before that they played a Donegal team who already had a win so little jeopardy there either, so maybe they will be slow out the traps?

Regardless, I think our best chance lies in pushing up on them and trying to make this a 15 v 15 game as we did from 30 mins onwards against Roscommon. There's plenty of fellas there for Derry who were playing Division 3 and 4 not so long ago, so their skill levels can't be that much higher. McGuigan is a brilliant player but leave Dan O'Mahony on him and no doubt he'll leave him know he's around with help from Rory Maguire. No reason to not go long from kick outs given how its worked the last two games, and press up on theirs. I'd also hope one of Jones or Corbett starts in the full forward line, McSweeney is an excellent shooter when he has the time but both these lads have better movement and are more likely to to get shots away and drift into goalscoring positions. The scoring total while either or both were off the pitch in the Mayo and Roscommon games was very low. We can't afford a first half of only scoring 5 or 6 points Sunday.

Overall, great to see this level if interest in football match. Three trains sold out Sunday morning in no time so the Cork crowd should be decent, and it looks like it'll be close to a sellout by the time the second game starts so this is probably as big as its got since the 2012 semi final. This management team is miles ahead of what we've had since so no fear of stage fright, but we will need luck and GOALS.

fullcourtpress

Ranty likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by caughtforpace Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:57 pm

Ranty wrote:Cork team and subs v Derry on Sunday 2nd July 2023.  
Looks like Fahy's injury is more serious than expected but his replacement Kevin O Donovan has a lot going for him including experience and scoring ability.  
Also good to see Darragh Cashman making the subs bench.
Not even one pundit gives us a chance of beating Derry, even if James O Donoghue Kerry has suggested a fun bet of four draws (Lucky 15) over the weekend.
I'll repeat what I said before, if Colm O Callaghan can stay with Ambrose Rogers we have a better than even chance of beating them.  
McQuillan is a decent enough ref so lets hope there are no more soft penalties like Geaney bought off the Kenmare Road ref.

1  Micheál Aodh Martin (Nemo Rangers)
2  Maurice Shanley (Clonakilty)
3  Rory Maguire (Castlehaven)
4  Tommy Walsh (Kanturk)
5  Kevin O’Donovan (Nemo Rangers)
6  Daniel O’Mahony (Knocknagree)
7  Matty Taylor (Mallow)
8  Colm O’Callaghan (Éire Óg)
9  Ian Maguire (St Finbarr’s)
10 Brian O’Driscoll (Tadhg Mac Carthaigh)
11 Ruairí Deane (Bantry Blues)
12 Killian O’Hanlon (Kilshannig)
13 Sean Powter (Douglas)
14 Steven Sherlock (St Finbarrs)
15 Eoghan Mc Sweeney (Knocknagree)

16 Patrick Doyle (Knocknagree)
17 Cian Kiely (Ballincollig)
18 Tom Clancy (Clonakilty)
19 Darragh Cashman (Millstreet)
20 Paul Walsh (Kanturk)
21 Chris Óg Jones (Uibh Laoire)
22 Conor Corbett (Clyda Rovers)
23 John O’Rourke (Carbery Rangers)
24 Mark Cronin (Nemo Rangers)
25 Brian Hurley (Castlehaven) Captain
26 Fionn Herlihy (Dohenys)

O Donohue is an insufferable little shit. He's been touting Cork all year since the beginning of the league yet as soon as we fronted up and beat Mayo his first utterance on that podcast was to claim that the foul on O Callaghan wasn't a penalty.
It's all backslapping and eulogising Dr Con and Billy Morgan with the Kerry boys until we start to get our shit together. Then straight away it's daggers out.

caughtforpace

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:28 pm

What is wrong with Brian Hurley?

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:44 pm

Heres hoping for a performance anyway

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:38 pm

Tipp Ex wrote:Heres hoping for a performance anyway

Puck the performance lark Tipp. This 'AWFUL' Cork team needs to beat this 'WONDERFUL'
Derry team and shut Brolly's gob.
I think they will too and I'm expecting Corbett and Chris Óg to 'arrive' as top notch forwards.
1-14 should do the trick again.

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:20 pm

Corbett in for Macsweeney

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:21 pm

Tipp Ex wrote:What is wrong with Brian Hurley?

Just a hamstring tweak I believe

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:01 pm

Glass obviously handles ball on the ground, ref gives free to Derry and then they score.... Modern football

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:05 pm

Ref isn't allowing Cork tackle the man legally

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:18 pm

We don't have a half forward line who can score or even kick

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 28 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21 ... 28  Next