Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cork senior football team 2022

+16
luasaigh
Jeremiah
Skyblue
Bigbird
JBM1
fullcourtpress
astnasquare
Sinbin
2hands
Podsy
Tipp Ex
Sean
T. Leaf
caughtforpace
Ranty
bittergaaman
20 posters

Page 15 of 28 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21 ... 28  Next

Go down

Cork senior football team 2022 - Page 15 Empty Re: Cork senior football team 2022

Post by T. Leaf Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:30 pm

bittergaaman wrote:Ref isn't allowing Cork tackle the man legally

That, and your last post, I have observed happening myself. I thought, maybe, I was prejudiced.

Reminds me of the time Cork Ladies Footballers played Tyrone in an All-Ireland semi final and in the second half the ref gave a free against them every time they went farther than the half way line. Only this ref is not waiting for the second half. Also got in Cork's way once and nearly caused them to lose the ball.
T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

Cork senior football team 2022 - Page 15 Empty Re: Cork senior football team 2022

Post by bittergaaman Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:47 pm

Fuck Joe Mcquillian

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:51 pm

John Cleary waaaay too slow on the sideline.

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:53 pm

We kick pass we get a goal. It's simple

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:55 pm

Also simple, we are not being positive in our play. We are not playing to win

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:56 pm

My god! Chris og Jones for Powter! What about Sherlock

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:59 pm

We don't deserve to win this. Awfully disappointing performance and attitude from Cork today. Coupled with a neutered non performance from our sideline.5 points down now and we don't look direct or aggressive enough. Doesn't help that the Ref won't allow us put a hand on a Derry man whereas Cork have to work hard for any free

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:11 pm

If Derry dive one more time I'll through my tv out my new windows

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:20 pm

Cork look very tired. 3 weekends in a row

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:31 pm

There was a massive opportunity there today despite the ending.
Forwards were simply poor outside Corbett who will be a brilliant player and should lead the cork attack next year, poor Hurley defiantly wasn’t right when he came on.
Backs were very good but what a loss luke fahy was…..improvement from last few years for sure but not much use at the moment

Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:31 pm

Mayo, Tyrone and Cork looked very tired this weekend. Simple hand passes going behind their men or the recievers not alert to a pass. Sign of fatigue to me

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by fullcourtpress Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:18 pm

Got stick from Derry folk around me in the Cusack for saying their lads were going down very easily but glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking it from the posts here. Talking to one of them after the game they had the gumption to claim they got nothing from McQuillan because Cavan folk goad them calling them "Londonderry" when they play each other 🙄

Ultimately, I think fatigue caught up with Cork and the performance was well short of being good enough. Can't complain too much defensively, Derry left a fair bit behind them but 1-12 is a scoreline that should have given us a huge shout of winning. Unfortunately the attacking performance was well short of that - transitions way too slow and Corbett apart there was nobody playing near their level. Deane brought the fight in the first half but near anonymous in the second half. McSweeney has been good this year but didn't play well today when summoned, could say similar of Brian O'Driscoll and a couple of others but again tiredness is a factor. Glass lorded it on midfield but would be reluctant to be overly critical there, the man cam jump higher than any player I've probably ever seen in football - although I think Kerry or Dublin would have a few hand gilding tactics lined up for him.

Generally, a very positive year but still well off challenging for an all Ireland. Walsh got Galway to a certain level by 2018 but they hit a wall then - I fear that similar could come of this team. The transitions were painfully slow today, you need tk risk the ball at times in the modern game and we didn't do that enough today with kick passing (got a goal from one of the occasions we did, could have created another one with Kevin O'Donovan's point at end of first half). But the c9nfidence to be gained from beating two division 1 teams should motivate these lads further in winter to not accept being also rans, but to believe that silverware is attainable. Fair play and thanks to all of them for their efforts all year, hope they've a few drinks tonight and enjoy themselves. Rebels abú.

fullcourtpress

T. Leaf and Ranty like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:48 pm

The free count tells some of the story. McQuillan gave us 2 frees in the 1st half and 10 to Derry. Cleary must have had a word in his ear going off at half time as things improved in the 2nd half. Another 10 to Derry and 9 to us. Still a huge discrepancy 20 against and 11 for. Surely we can't be that far off the recognised legal tackle format, or can we?
Whether the team were tired or not, I got tired watching the utter crap on my TV screen and no blame to Cork. This Derry team are painful to watch with the exception of McGuigan and McKinless. Their keeper Lynch handled mor ball outfield than most and gave them an extra man all day long.
We need three or four young forwards to help Corbett as the current line cannot score or even attempt to score.
In comparison to Kerry, the difference in hand speed is glaring. They will shoot passes to each other at lightning speed all day and always the correct height and position.
I'll find it hard to support our neighbours in the semi final but I hope they win for the sake of the game and my wish to enjoy the All Ireland final.

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by 2hands Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:14 pm

Two teams today made a decision to press further up the field in the second half and try to stop the other teams working the ball into their forwards. Dublin made hay doing it (Mayo ran out of legs). Cork just didn’t have the legs. Three weeks in a row came home to bite. People say the players are used to playing week in week out, but people also forget how hot and humid it has been for the last few weeks. It was a huge factor today.

If you look at the Derry goal the difference between our energy levels today and those against Kerry and Mayo were very evident. Against Kerry (and most of the time against Mayo) we were hunting in packs in defence and putting in hits and putting players in possession under pressure. For the Derry goal, O’Driscoll struggled to make it across to a Derry player who was about to get possession. When he did get close he didn’t track the runner and you’ll see him almost standing still as the play moves on. I’m not blaming him for the goal, but it was a defensive lapse we didn’t see in earlier weeks and I’m convinced it was because he was out on his feet.

Some of the spills and bad passes were also the signs of players tiring and not being able to operate at the same level. Our skills generally (particularly our handpassing when offloading at pace) need to improve but we have come a long way this year.

At the start of the second half, we should have taken the point on offer and got the game back to level pegging rather than going for goal, but that’s easy to say in hindsight. We persist in not having enough shooters on the pitch. I thought taking off Sherlock when Hurley came in, rather than giving him ten minutes to see if having a second player for the Derry defence to focus on might give him more space and room was odd. We seem to have a ‘protype’ player in mind and swap like for like whereas at times when the game is going against us we need to mix it up a bit more. We also need to get our inside forwards making more runs and not being static when the lads on the 40 are looking for options. That’s been a problem in Cork football for years now.

All in all though, it’s been a year of progress and credit to all involved. Now we need to push on and make Division 1 football our priority, bring through a few more scoring forwards and aim to top the qualifying group next year. I think the heart and spirit of this group means that we can push on and will not be a pushover for any team. Thanks for the effort lads and for putting your lives on hold for the cause. Enjoy the summer.

2hands

Ranty and luasaigh like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:09 am

Great post 'Dhá Lámh'.  
Having suffered through a replay this morning it's difficult to understand Joe McQuillan's thinking.
I won't bore people with all he details, but in the very first passage of play where Cork won the throw in and held the ball for three minutes until Sherlock kicked it wide from 10 yards, 3 Cork players were fouled.
Colm O Callaghan was first to be dumped as he tried to get a shot off.  
Ball comes across from the corner to Sherlock and before it can reach him Corbett is battered to the ground from behind.   He actually needs treatment after the ball goes wide.
Sherlock is clearly fouled as he gets the shot off.
We got 2 frees in the 1st half.  
We got 1 point from our half forward line while Derry got 4 points from their HF line( The winning margin)
One more interesting if annoying stat.......we scored 1-8 but 1-2 of that (55%) were scored by hand ball.
Not sure if I can buy into the tired legs story but what do I know. Tired legs won't excuse the wide count (Cool or the sloppy hand passes but at least we competed with the big boys this year and with the injection of young blood next year we should target Division 1 football for the next 100 years.

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:00 pm

If McQuillan was interpreting the rules like his compatriot Gough Kevin O Donovan should have got a penalty just on half time as it was a much clearer goal scoring opportunity than Geaney's dive.
But of course the Gooch and that gander face from Mayo on TSG didn't see fit to highlight such a small event.
Surprised Canavan didn't pick up on it as he's a sharpie usually.

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinbin Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:12 pm

Good post 2hands...all of this would be pretty much my view too.

Yesterday always seemed a game too far, the subtle differences between being a real top team and a work in progress really showed. Decision-making, the final ball, the breaking the lines, the speed of thought, the execution, the ruthlessness in and out of possession...all the things that a good team needs to develop to become a great one. Plus Cork did look...understandably...fleadhed out by the second half, the will was there but the energy had been maxed out at that stage. The three weeks in a row was always going to be a big toll for a team still finding its feet at this level.

At the business end there's a clear gulf between the top few teams and the rest. Getting to that level isn't easy and isn't done over one campaign. You see how the likes of Derry, Galway, & Armagh, have worked over several years to get close to the top and none of them are still the finished article, none of them would really test Kerry or Dublin on the biggest days. Getting to Div 1 next year is crucial, and staying there over subsequent years even more crucial. That has to be the No.1 target next year. Only playing consistently at that level will get you into the final mix for the biggest prize.

I really like Cleary's management style and he comes across as a solid, no-nonsense fella. Walsh has been a great addition...even if Galway folk will tell you he set Galway football back a few years. It's a solid management set-up who if given a few years will hopefully inspire real progress under their watch. This team is probably 2-3 years away from being able to go toe-to-toe with Dublin & Kerry on the biggest days...and that's all dependent on hard work, attitude, and the introduction of new & better players in the interim. Some of the older guard will inevitably fade away, whatever players and talent we have coming up is the key to driving it on.

Undoubted progress this year, even though progress doesn't work in straight lines. For the first time in a good few years you can see a clear plan and platform for Cork football.
Overall this group restored pride in Cork football this year that has been absent for years. Credit to all involved for that. The spirit in the camp seems to be strong and united. There's a chance now for Cork to move up a level if they can keep the momentum going.

Sinbin

Ranty and luasaigh like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:50 pm

Cork tried hard in fairness. A pot of work has gone in since fefeat to Clare.
Add in a proper fit Hurley and a mature and bulked up Corbett and we talking.
Special word to Mícheál A - much improved kickouts!

Very proud of us this year. Well done to all

Tipp Ex

luasaigh likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:13 am

Tipp Ex wrote:Cork tried hard in fairness. A pot of work has gone in since fefeat to Clare.
Add in a proper fit Hurley and a mature and bulked up Corbett and we talking.
Special word to Mícheál A - much improved kickouts!

Very proud of  us this year. Well done to all

Yes Tipp. We are all proud of this team and management.
I don't share your hope for Hurley ever being fit and injury free. IMHO his time is gone.
Corbett and Cathal O Mahony, along with Hugh O Connor are my vision of a potent Cork forward
unit. Damien Gore and David Buckley should also figure next year but the best inside forward prospect is Ryan O Donovan Barryroe.
Probably needs to play with a bigger club to get the attention of Cleary and Co.?
Conor Daly from Clon is under 20 but scored 1-4 from play v Sligo back in March. An annoying poster over yonder continues to tout his talents to the annoyance of all.
Daniel O Connell Kanturk presently out with cruciate injury will come into the reckoning for mid field
as will Ciarán O Sullivan Kilshannig.
Hopefully Sean Meehan will have recovered from his cruciate injury next year along with Tadg Corkery.
These young players are the future of Cork football and should be seen in the league ASAP.

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:28 pm

Cork more than any other team are over reliant on fisting the ball over the bar. It's feels idiotic for me to write this, but we need to enhance the skill of kicking across the county. I don't know, ban teaching the hand pass and hand fisted point until minor level?
I mean as a "skill" I'm sure it could be left till much later in their development.

Our lack of ball kickers in a sport called football is alarming

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Tipp Ex Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:05 pm

Is it Huerlsys shoulder or what is wrong with him. He played one game, missed the next, played the next, missed the next, this pattern repeated all through the year. We absolutely need him

Tipp Ex

Back to top Go down

Post by luasaigh Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:49 pm

bittergaaman wrote:Cork more than any other team are over reliant on fisting the ball over the bar. It's feels idiotic for me to write this, but we need to enhance the skill of kicking across the county. I don't know, ban teaching the hand pass and hand fisted point until minor level?
I mean as a "skill" I'm sure it could be left till much later in their development.

Our lack of ball kickers in a sport called football is alarming

I've been ridiculed over yonder for suggesting this before, so I'll risk it here this time.... :-)

A lot of it is that so many players are not adequately confident on both sides. So the kicking opportunities are halved - and more than halved when your marker knows he can just focus on your better side.

The best way to encourage trying something is to increase the reward for it. I believe in underage (up to and including u15 anyway) in Cork we should double the reward for any score scored by a player from one foot if the same player had previously scored with the other foot. Yes, it would significantly increase the burden on refs (would have to record number of player who scored and the foot they scored with, and would have to then note and signal the double score), and there would be mistakes and disputes - but it'd be worth it. Imagine the 12 year old going home telling his parent that he got two points at the end of the match to win it (players keep score anyway) 'cos he kicked it over with his left. Team practice, and individual practice at home, with the weaker foot would get much more focus.

luasaigh

bittergaaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:38 pm

You're asking a lot there 'Luasaig'.
Hard enough to get a ref now for any game least of all underage.
Most of them have difficulty keeping the actual score.
Tommy Rooney tells us on OTB that we better get used to this new game as it's here to stay and not going away.
I hate it too, but it's easy to see why coaches want possession to rule.

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by luasaigh Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:05 pm

Ranty wrote:You're asking a lot there 'Luasaig'.
Tommy Rooney tells us on OTB that we better get used to this new game as it's here to stay and not going away.

My concern is that many highly capable players are so dominant at underage that they can get away without having to use the weaker side much. By the time they come up against better markers where they need to use the weaker side, it is late to develop it optimally. So I'd love to find some way to reward it at young ages in a "real" match.

I know - I am asking a lot of refs - that's the big big downside of my proposal. Would have to be trialed in few games to see whether the difficulty is prohibitive. Perhaps somebody else has a better idea (sometimes a flawed idea from one person begets a better one from somebody else).

luasaigh

Back to top Go down

Post by T. Leaf Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:13 pm

luasaigh wrote:
Ranty wrote:You're asking a lot there 'Luasaig'.

My concern is that many highly capable players are so dominant at underage that they can get away without having to use the weaker side much.  By the time they come up against better markers where they need to use the weaker side, it is late to develop it optimally.  So I'd love to find some way to reward it at young ages in a "real" match.

I know - I am asking a lot of refs - that's the big big downside of my proposal.  Would have to be trialed in few games to see whether the difficulty is prohibitive.  Perhaps somebody else has a better idea (sometimes a flawed idea from one person begets a better one from somebody else).

Surely the answer is coaching. Shouldn't coaches be teaching players to use both feet?  It should be quite simple: when you're on your left, use your left foot, when you're on your right, use your right.

Back in the day, when I was learning hurling, myself, it's what I did. Because of where we lived out in the country, at the time it wasn't practical to join any town club when we were children, so we taught ourselves, my brother, sisters and I. I wanted to be able to hit the ball as well with my left as with my right, so I adopted this method. I couldn’t put much power into my shots at first, but gradually they strengthened, until in the end it was all the one.  I mention this to show that I know it works.
T. Leaf
T. Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 28 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21 ... 28  Next