Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cork senior football team 2022

+16
luasaigh
Jeremiah
Skyblue
Bigbird
JBM1
fullcourtpress
astnasquare
Sinbin
2hands
Podsy
Tipp Ex
Sean
T. Leaf
caughtforpace
Ranty
bittergaaman
20 posters

Page 11 of 28 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 19 ... 28  Next

Go down

Cork senior football team 2022 - Page 11 Empty Re: Cork senior football team 2022

Post by Ranty Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:37 pm

Gough gives a penalty to Kerry and Hurson gives a Yellow card to a Kildare player who does exactly what Powter did outside the square.
What kind of a sporting organisation can stand over such obvious bias by an official.
If it's a rule, why did one "guy" call it and in Kilkenny a Tyrone official didn't call it?
Will that be the end of it? Of course it will and the official who blackguarded Cork will probably ref the All Ireland Final.
Peter Canavan knows when a wrong has been inflicted and fair play he called it as it was.

Ranty

T. Leaf and Tipp Ex like this post

Back to top Go down

Cork senior football team 2022 - Page 11 Empty Re: Cork senior football team 2022

Post by bittergaaman Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:35 am

Joe Brolly went to town on the Cork Football team today. Agree with some of his thoughts on it, in fact I posted on here similar views but I wouldn't call them "awful"

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:06 pm

bittergaaman wrote:Joe Brolly went to town on the Cork Football team today. Agree with some of his thoughts on it, in fact I posted on here similar views but I wouldn't call them "awful"

I think we should have learned at this stage to ignore him, what he knows about modern football is negligible and the fact he has never been asked or tried to help out with an adult team says plenty.
The team were poor in the first half yesterday and we didn’t have the right forwards on the pitch.
Second half we were much better but left ourselves too much to do, if we learn for mayo and get the likes of Corbett back to add to the mix up front we will rattle any team including mayo but we need a big breakthrough win

Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:29 am

For my sins I watched it again and assuming that it was a 'Clear Goal Scoring Opportunity' then Geaney is a magician. Not alone was he practically on the end line, with our men O Driscoll and Maguire blocking his his path to goal plus Ml A Martin covering the narrow side.
If he was there for the rest of his life he wouldn't hit the net.
Having said that, a couple of Hurley's efforts were less than we'd expect from an intercounty footballer. Kicking a free straight into the arms of an unmarked Kerryman is hard to explain.
Must be them awful yellow boots he was sporting. Cork senior football team 2022 - Page 11 1f600 Cork senior football team 2022 - Page 11 1f603

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by Skyblue Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:45 am

Brolly isn't worth mentioning.

Great opportunity for Cork gone.

Mayo game could be really good.

Skyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:02 pm

Can anybody here post that GAA rule that the luvly Gough found useful on Saturday.
I can't find it anywhere and sure nobody else, even Jack O Connor didn't know it existed.
What I'm after is the word 'CLEAR' if it's written in this hard to find rule.?

Ranty

bittergaaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:58 pm

Ranty wrote:Can anybody here post that GAA rule that the luvly Gough found useful on Saturday.
I can't find it anywhere and sure nobody else, even Jack O Connor didn't know it existed.
What I'm after is the word 'CLEAR' if it's written in this hard to find rule.?

Would be interesting alright. I'll ask my GAA administrator friends

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:19 am

Peter Canavan has answered my question in the Examiner podcast and this is what he says..

"“My understanding was it had to a clear goalscoring opportunity; in that case I don’t think it was for a number of reasons. He was coming in at a tight angle and if he was shooting Powter would have been very close to him. Possibly he would be fisting over the bar. If he had got past Powter, would some of the other defenders not be there to get a block on it?”

The six-time All Star said there is ambiguity around the rule, which does not reference a “clear” goalscoring opportunity, just a goalscoring opportunity.

“It is not in the rule book, but if you speak to any referee, they would say in their opinion it has to be clear. That is where the mix-up in terminology is coming.”

It's clear that Gough was selective here as was his umpire. We have a lot to learn about cheating as for years the Gooch made Antony Lynch look like the Boston Strangler, and Geaney was quick to tell Gough what to do. Sherlock was fouled at the other end on the edge of the square but didn't do Geaney's trick.

Ranty

T. Leaf and Tipp Ex like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:19 pm

I think in fairness to all involved the improvement in conditioning this year has been phenomenal, to see cork still driving on in the heat on Saturday was refreshing and an important aspect of the squad to have right finally.
On the last round, I think these 2 games are fairly hard to call, people are writing off Louth a team who have put it up to everyone this year except Dublin, in Kerry’s current form are they definitely going to beat them? Probably but not guaranteed.
For us Vs mayo I think we can have confidence the performance effort will be consistent at least, hopefully no more injuries and we start Sherlock with Hurley and keep the 2 of them up top as much as possible.
Beat mayo and cork would be in a great place for a quarter final

Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:41 pm

Have to agree with you Sean on the conditioning but don't see us beating Mayo unless we improve the % rate for scoring on our attacks.
When I see Deane within 30 yards of the posts, failing to even attempt a kick, I despair.    He actually turned back and hand passed it to a colleague 5 yards away who was surrounded by Kerrymen.
Ian Maguire was guilty of similar shot shy stuff and was turned over as well.
I'd love to see Blake Murphy and Fionn Herlihy get their chance against Mayo as it's a no lose game and let's see what we have in the tank.   Mark Cronin must be shit sick of warming the bench too and Cian Kiely hasn't been used much either.
I'd certainly start Sherlock but I have serious doubts about Hurley as a team player.    Those YALLA boots don't impress me either.

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:50 pm

Made that same point on Deane, I'd say he must be instructed not to shoot surely because there's no explanation for what he did there other than that...
The first half attacking performance against Kerry was quite disheartening as it only seemed to be hurley was the only shot taker. Improved in the 2nd half with the introduction of Macsweeney and Sherlock. But we are never going to win a match against bigger teams if we only go with one shot taker..

bittergaaman

Ranty likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:52 pm

I agree ranty on murphy for sure, he is a different type of forward to the starting half forwards and has a range of kicking, Sherlock must start.
Hurley imo is a good player but he is held on a lot of games so is short of being on that top percent , he shouldn’t have even attempted that free from the ground on Saturday on the second half and added to his sideline kick to no one he seems to carry too much pressure on himself.
Yes we are a running team and that is a strength once our fitness levels have caught up, but if you have players afraid to shoot from 30 metres…..I don’t know, management have been very slow to make any changes all year and imo it is costing us now with a raft of players who have had no gale time, feel sorry for Cronin a super player imo but hasn’t got a kick, considering the treatment of him Vs jones and it’s bizarre imo

Sean

Ranty likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:28 am

• It is the decision of the Referee as to whether it is a goal-scoring opportunity or not. However, it must be inside the 20m line or the semi-circular arc. Things the referee should consider:
• Where the foul occurred
• How many defenders are between the attaching player and the goals
• Could another defender make a tackle before reaching the goals?
• How many players are in the area in front of the goals?

• If a player commits a Cynical Behaviour infraction within the 20-metre line or the semicircular arc and outside the large rectangle, and it is not a goal-scoring opportunity, the referee will deal with foul as per rule i.e. issue the card and award a free-kick.

This is only for Senior Inter-County League & Championship 2021.

Published on 5/5/2021 on GAA website."

If Frank was still around we'd be looking for a replay as according to the written rule published on 5/5/2021 Gough outstepped his pompous authority and the rule does NOT apply in 2023.
Bring back Frank. lol

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by caughtforpace Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:13 am

On balance it was the correct decision. The fact it is so infrequently used indicates the rule is having the desired effect. Defenders were prepared to take the black card to prevent a goal.
The issue I have is, I doubt Gough would have given the same sanction at the other end against a a team that doesn't have cynicism in their DNA as Jack O Connor told us with a straight face.
On the game itself. Kerry were poor and if you swapped Clifford and Hurley we'd have won comfortably. Easier said than done but I think it was a mistake having Taylor picking up Paudie Clifford as he's essential to our attacking options and we really missed his hard running.
Couldn't understand why we used long balls to an outnumbered Hurley when we were breaking from midfield in the first half. Direct ball to the square should be used occasionally when an attack stalls around the 45 and you have numbers inside the 20.
Kerry obviously rate our kickout overload strategy and nullified this attacking platform by essentially conceding the short kickout to us.

caughtforpace

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:39 am

caughtforpace wrote:On balance it was the correct decision. The fact it is so infrequently used indicates the rule is having the desired effect. Defenders were prepared to take the black card to prevent a goal.
The issue I have is, I doubt Gough would have given the same sanction at the other end against a a team that doesn't have cynicism in their DNA as Jack O Connor told us with a straight face.

I'll have to disagree with you on the 'desired effect' part of your summary. 99.999% of pundits didn't even know the rule existed, so it would be stretching credibility a mite too far to think players know the rule?
I see where Gough has come out (no pun intended) on the Examiner saying the Cork players were 'fine' with his decision but John Cleary gave him an earful coming off the field because HE didn't know the rule.
Also said the referees meeting on Wednesday agreed with his decision 100%.

Gimme a break FFS, what else would you expect from your 'pals'?

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:36 am

Cork senior football team 2022 - Page 11 Screen27

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:38 am

Disappointed not to see Sherlock and Mcsweeney starting. Issue against Kerry was we only had one person actually taking shots on goal. Our variety of shooters and our attacking options dramatically changed when they came on the last day.
Mayo only need to shut down Hurley now as usual

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:40 am

Our Subs.
Tommy Walsh back to the exclusion of Flahive and Blake Murphy banished for Corbett's
inclusion.
Hard to know where the scores will come from unless Hurley changes his boots.

16 Patrick Doyle (Knocknagree)
17 Cian Kiely (Ballincollig)
18 Tom Clancy (Clonakilty)
19 Tommy Walsh (Kanturk)
20 Paul Walsh (Kanturk)
21 Eoghan McSweeney (Knocknagree)
22 Conor Corbett (Clyda Rovers)
23 John O’Rourke (Carbery Rangers)
24 Mark Cronin (Nemo Rangers)
25 Steven Sherlock (St Finbarr’s)
26 Fionn Herlihy (Dohenys)

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:18 am

I can see 3 players on the bench who could have a crack at scoring. But won't be doing much from there

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by 2hands Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:18 pm

I really hope Cork just go for this on Sunday. It’s a free shot in many ways and we might as well have a go. If we play cagey football and lose by a point we will be no better off than we are now. If we can just go at them, I think the Mayo defence are there to be got at.

The issue, as ever, is going to be out around the middle. Coen and Ruane are likely to win a lot of the possession out there. I’d probably have started McSweeney to try and mix it up a bit on breaking ball but let’s see what happens.

Chris Óg is a bit of an enigma. He offers a jinking threat that a lot of our forwards don’t offer but his finishing lets him down. If he could score early, Sunday might be a big day for him. He’s not unlike Ryan O’Donoghue in some ways.

It will be interesting to see what they do with O’Hora. Will he pick up Hurley or will he follow Powter. They may be assuming that Cork only have a few players with the pace and attitude to run at them and I can see O’Hora being asked to do a job on one of those.

For some reason I have a feeling in my bones that Corbett might announce himself at some stage on Sunday. That’s probably based on nothing other than the blind hope of a desperate man from a county that have underachieved for years but….. that’s the sort of hope that has kept Mayo going for so long.

I think this one could be interesting if we get a good start and painful if we don’t.

2hands

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:53 pm

Hurley is a decent player at this level and works hard, mayo will leave their selected full back mark him like every other team does. There seems to be an idea in cork they he is top 3% inside forward when unfortunately he is not. He had a pot day the last day so more likely to do ok on Sunday but we need more then that.
I’m sorry 2hands but the comparison between jones and o’donoghue is way way off imo, jones works hard the attitude is great but he doesn’t prodice at this level and the managements persistence with him compared to the treatment of Sherlock, Cronin and Corbett is bizarre at this stage.
I won’t dwell on Sherlock, except to say we persisted previously under other managements with free takers who were inconsistent and we continue to do so for some reason, I am still bewildered that Hurley attempted the free last day under the uncovered stand off the ground when it was never going over.
The change between this match and Kerry is that mayo will force Martin to go long loopy and left with his kickouts and mayo will compete and compete hard, they have imo a significant advantage at midfield.
I hope our coach doesn’t think what worked in 2017 will work now…..we underestimate mayo in cork because we compete with them, we haven’t beaten them in over a decade and we won’t Sunday. I hope murphy is injured as he came on Vs Kerry in garbage time and players like that must be given as much chances as others, we can’t afford to let fellas walk away

Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by 2hands Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:54 pm

Sean, I’m don’t intend to disrespect Mayo. I think they are a good team and we will be up against it. I had my doubts about McStay (and about how the players would react to him) but so far it’s been hard to fault him. But they have some chinks in their armour too (for all that they beat Kerry, Kerry were brutal that day, were destroyed in midfield, couldn’t adapt to the quick transition game Mayo played and yet were still in the game late on). We might as well have a go and figure out who’s capable of putting in performances that might lead to scores against these teams as try to keep the score down. Keeping the score down and winning the % possession stat isn’t going to do much in the knockout stages.

The comparison with O’Donoghue is more that I think that the latter (like one or two of his fellow Mayo forwards) is a confidence player. If he gets a score early you can see him grow in confidence. If he doesn’t he tends to fade out a bit. I agree that Jones really needs to start producing on the scoreboard, but some of what he does frees up space and defenders are generally inclined to stay tight to him.

I don’t disagree with your assessment of some of the other players. I worry that our entire attacking plan seems to be to get the ball into Hurley’s hands (which is partly why Chris Óg’s role makes some sense) and others only shoot if he can’t. In management’s defence on Sherlock, he’s missed a few score-able frees himself this year and has been very hot and cold. I’d still think we don’t have so many finishers who are better than him that we can afford to leave him on the bench but I suppose those of us outside the camp don’t know what the fitness and other factors at play are.

Mayo won’t be too worried about us, are definitely the stronger team and are used to playing at an higher pace. They will see it as an opportunity to make sure they top the group and extend their score difference. It’s up to us to decide whether we are happy to run them close and be patronised again on Monday or whether we want to genuinely have a rattle off it. I’m a typical Cork football supporter. I have no real reason to look forward to it, but I am. I also think we might see a change or two before kick off.

2hands

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranty Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:34 pm

I spent a big 'skelp' of today in the company of an ex Cork footballer who holds a senior AI medal along with a minor and U 21.    He's very confident that we'll beat Mayo.
I can't see it happening and think Sean is right about Jones role.  He has scored 2 points in his last 5 outings with Cork as an inside forward.    
We won't beat Mayo without a better return from our forwards and Chris Og is not alone.    
Some of Hurley's decisions are close to bizarre and IMHO Sherlock despite his limitations is a better scoring threat.  
I have to agree with 'Dhá Lámh' that we have a chance now to throw off the shackles and have a right lash at Mayo but I doubt if Cleary and Walsh will have that attitude.
I also doubt if there will be starting changes as dummy teams don't seem to be Cleary's forte.
This week our whistler is a Down man named Paul Faloon who I've never heard of but he did ref a recent U 20 AI final between Dublin and Galway.
At the risk of shooting myself in the foot again, I'll tell the whole world that he couldn't possibly be worse than Niall McKenna or David Gough.

Ranty

Back to top Go down

Post by bittergaaman Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:48 pm

Hard to find anything to complain about after that 1st half. But bitter by name bitter by nature 😉.

bittergaaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:12 pm

Total and utter implosion but when you have as poor a keeper as we have who has only one kickout your fucked, we are not serious at this game

Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 28 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 19 ... 28  Next